• Register
  • Help

Topic: Layering Midi Files

Share/Bookmark

Layering Midi Output from VIs

I am getting mixed results when combining midi parts generated by Recycle (using mostly Acid loops), Intakt (Stormbreakz/Stormdrum) with Groove Control files. The only platform that I can get to sync tightly within itself is the Spectrasonics/Ilio GC stuff (i.e., only using various GC products). When I attempt to layer midi tracks using only Recycle parts or only Intakt parts (or especially mixing files from the three product lines), things become more difficult to control.

My goal is to layer parts in a way that sounds like a band in a room (i.e., different musicians contributing their feel to an overall groove, instead of one feel for the drums, percussion, bass, etc.). When using GC material exclusively, I achieve this by choosing a loop and then groove quantizing (by percentage) all the parts and then applying a touch of randomization. Can't sem to achieve the same results with other material.

How much tweaking of slice marks are you guys doing within Recycle and Intakt, and what sort of work methods are you using to mix and match content from all three products?

Please note that this post is not intended to be a Recycle/NI vs. Spectrasonics debate. Just trying to get more info on how to get the most out of all of these great products.

Re: Layering Midi Files

So far I've found with Stormdrum Intakt sessions that I really only use one or two at a time. I'll use those to create a groove and then emulate that in my sequencing for other parts. This is probably not as fast a process as you were looking for so I hope someone comes up with better advice.

Re: Layering Midi Files

Quote Originally Posted by Per Lichtman
    So far I've found with Stormdrum Intakt sessions that I really only use one or two at a time. I'll use those to create a groove and then emulate that in my sequencing for other parts. This is probably not as fast a process as you were looking for so I hope someone comes up with better advice.

Thanks for responding. I have a follow up question. Do you emulate with real-time performance or use the extracted midi file as a groove template?

Go Back to forum