• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Showreel Redux...

Share/Bookmark

Showreel Redux...

This time with 50% less Portamento!

Just a quickie (and a nice small file size), Layered quite a few string patches together to fatten the sound up considerably.... getting quite a pleasing 'lush' string sound out of VSL, at least to my ears.

http://www.northernsounds.net/userup...26c17ed2bc.mp3

Critics welcome. (VSL & SAM btw)

Thumbs up Re: Showreel Redux...

Sounds great, James. The string "blending" really does sound thick and full. If I had any complaint... it would be... "why so short...I really wanted to hear more".
    Excellent job!..... Gary

Re: Showreel Redux...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary M. Thomas
    Sounds great, James. The string "blending" really does sound thick and full. If I had any complaint... it would be... "why so short...I really wanted to hear more".
    Excellent job!..... Gary
    Thanks,

Unfortunatly with gigastudio computers blowing up (well, 3 graphics cards have failed within the last few months! ) and lots of other projects to be getting on with, I haven't been able to get much composing done.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesmcwilliams
    Thanks,

Unfortunatly with gigastudio computers blowing up (well, 3 graphics cards have failed within the last few months! ) and lots of other projects to be getting on with, I haven't been able to get much composing done.
    Actually... a question to anyone out there who might have any thoughts, but what power supply do you guys tend to go for (I have a 460watt I believe)... i'm starting to think that perhaps my graphics cards are popping due to not recieving enough power. I mean, my rigs all have a hell of a lot of components in them... all that RAM (2gigs) 3 harddrives, RME soundcard + 3 expansion boards, not to mention the onboard soundcard (for games). The onboard soundcard often stops working when I play games for example (sound cuts out and I have to restart the game to get it back). This could very well be a sign of a power shortage?

one of the problem of strings blending is when you do fast passages, you use the VSL performance set , right ? But you can't use the staccato of the "custom strings" you are using (VSL is the only one library to have performance samples) unless you like machine gun effect.

i like your composition though

I would add a little more reverb for the strings and may be others processing because i think imo that the strings are too much at the left(or at the right, i don't know if my headphones are correctly configured)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCarter
    one of the problem of strings blending is when you do fast passages, you use the VSL performance set , right ? But you can't use the staccato of the "custom strings" you are using (VSL is the only one library to have performance samples) unless you like machine gun effect.
    As long as you don't mix the custom one too high, i think you would be ok. The machine gun effect can disapear inside a mix and you still retain the fattening sound. As long as you get the extra 'character' as you layer the different patches.

Strings should be left

Thanks,

how did you make them so lush James?

Quote Originally Posted by Audun_Jemtland
    how did you make them so lush James?
    VSL comes with so many different patches of sustained strings, so I combine a few of them, this was a quick sketch really... so I think I could flesh them out even more, and perhaps bring some of the strings closer to the middle as John suggested. I tend to pan the different patches in iterations too, 15, 20, 25 etc. I try to use the patches with interesting little textures, adds some character.

oh i thought it was VSL + some others strings like SISS , so its only VSL ?

What patchs did you use ? sustain F + espr strong vibrato ?

Go Back to forum