• Register
  • Help

Topic: Balinese Gamelan

Share/Bookmark

Cool Balinese Gamelan

OK, Gamelan probably isn't the top of most people's shopping lists, but I was just wondering if anyone here has ever used the Creative/EMU Balinese Gamelan Soundfonts disc? I'm mainly asking because I can't find any reliable information about what's on it. Obviously there is a program listing at the Creative site, but nowhere does it say whether the samples are of real instruments or rehashed synthesised sounds from an extinct EMU sound-module. Nor does it say how far the samples have been stretched.

Given that the disc costs 10Euros I'm not expecting great things, and I would say it really doesn't matter, at that price I'll just try it. The only problem is that the only distributor where I've found it still available insists on a minimum order, and postage is also expensive, so getting this disc, which might turn out to be garbage, is going to cost me more than I would normally pay for garbage.

Can anyone help?

Re: Balinese Gamelan

If you get it, let me know how it is!

I wouldn't expect much from sampled gamelan tho... the techniques are so subtle and varied it'd be hard to capture the real vibe of it without some crazy 20gig sample lib

Re: Balinese Gamelan

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu
    Obviously there is a program listing at the Creative site, but nowhere does it say whether the samples are of real instruments or rehashed synthesised sounds from an extinct EMU sound-module. Nor does it say how far the samples have been stretched.
    I spoke with someone at EMU last week (it's a local call for me) and asked them about the disk, as I was interested too. According to her, this disk was not produced by EMU - it was produced by a third party, so I doubt it uses synth sounds from an EMU module. They have no plans to restock the disk either, so I'm not sure what that says, whether they were happy with it or not.

R.
    ==

Go Back to forum