• Register
  • Help

Topic: First Attempt at mock up with GPO - Haydn String Quartet

Share/Bookmark

First Attempt at mock up with GPO - Haydn String Quartet

Hey guys, this is my first attempt to make something sound good using GPO. This is the fourth variation of Haydn's Op. 76, No. 3 String Quartet (which happens to be the same tune as the German National anthem).

http://www.tgfoo.com/music/haydn3.mp3

for it I used violin solo 1, violin solo 2, viola solo and cello solo 1. I used Overture to enter the notes and export a midi file and then used Sonar 3 PE for everything else. What do you guys think? Feedback is appreciated (feel free to be brutally honest....i can handle it)
    Tim

Re: First Attempt at mock up with GPO - Haydn String Quartet

Tim, the link doesn't seem to work.

Frank

Sorry about the link not working. The company that host's my website is actually physically moving it's servers. It was supposed to happen sunday at 12 am and take 4-6 hours. It's still down now.....so it should be back up very soon.....
    Tim

Ok, the link is working again.
    Tim

Smile Re: First Attempt at mock up with GPO - Haydn String Quartet

Tgfoo, this is one of my favorite movement of Haydn string quartets. There are some wrong notes in the score you used. However, you this is a good first attempt. You know you can get softer attacks by having the velocity values lower, I thought that you had too hard attacks.

Looking forward to hear some more - preferable something which you composed.
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Thanks falcon1. I got the score out of one of my orchestration books (Adler). It could be that I just entered it in wrong, but I did triple check it, so it should be the way it was in the book. I also edited teh velocity like you recommended. As for a piece of my own.....I'm working on it
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tgfoo
    Thanks falcon1. I got the score out of one of my orchestration books (Adler). It could be that I just entered it in wrong, but I did triple check it, so it should be the way it was in the book. I also edited teh velocity like you recommended. As for a piece of my own.....I'm working on it
    Wow, Nice work - REALLY! I've always loved this piece too. My only suggestion is to breathe some life in the longer sustained notes. A real string player rarely can hold the same dynamic level for such a long time. Fluctuating the dymamics slighty will add a whole new level of realism. Listening to a real string quartet playing this will give you a really good sense of the ebb and flow of dynamics that literally breathe the music out. (Even if they are not necessarily written in the score). It is easier said than done, I know.

Like Falcon, I am looking forward to hearing an original piece!

Jerry Wickham

Go Back to forum