• Register
  • Help

Topic: Recommend a good Mac MIDI app?

Share/Bookmark

Recommend a good Mac MIDI app?

Hi All,

I am looking for a really easy to use MIDI editor for OS X that I can use to fine tune stuff i do in Finale - (i.e. add real time mod-wheel data, etc.)

I do have cubase sx, but editing MIDI in it seems a hard thing to do.
    I would be doing all my work starting in Finale, then exporting it as a MIDI file, and then editing / fine tuning it in the MIDI app.
    (which would also be my playback for the final polished performance.

I have an Apple iMac g4 (17 inch display) 1 ghz processor, 768 mb of Ram, Running OS X (10.2.8) Finale 2004, GPO, Cubase SX

Any suggestions?

(Besides telling me to get a PC? ha ha)

Re: Recommend a good Mac MIDI app?

Jerry,

I'm on your side, I won't tell you to get a PC. I use my GPO with my Mac and the Pro Tools sequencer. It's very stable for me, but I don't have the ability to use a lot of GPO voices at one time without CPU overload. I'm running a G4 powerbook, 550 mhz, 1 gig RAM. I think that once I upgrade to a G5 my voice count should increase.

Check your PM.

Jeff

Have a look at Tracktion (www.mackie.com). You can try out the demo for free. It's fairly intuitive and as simple as they come.

In Cubase SX2, have you found the 'controller lanes' for midi editing? I find cc drawing fairly simple in Cubase, as well as sustain (cc64) editing. There are also some 'nudge' presets that you can design and save for moving notes slightly forward and backward. Velocity is also graphically simple.

I use Digital Performer 4.12, and find its midi editing superior to any other program I've used (Sonar3, Cubase SX2, Logic6 Pro), but that's just one man's opinion.

Trond

Thanks Jeff and Trond for your suggestions and help.

I will look at those programs and find out what suits my needs and comfort level best.

This has saved me hours of finding out where to start looking!

Jerry Wickham

Hi Jerry,

I have used both Logic and Digital Performer. Never used Traction. I have found DP to be extraordinarily intuitive and easy to learn. It is a massive program; the very complete manual is well over 900 pages. At first DP can look a little daunting, but it is so well laid out, and thoughtfully designed, that you will be making music in know time at all. There is a short ÒGetting StartedÓ manual that gives you all you need to make some great music quickly. The interface is simple, elegant and intuitive. The only downside to this program is MOTUÕs tech support. They usually only have one person at the support phone, but with persistence you can get through, and usually get help with your question. But there are great forums out there dedicated to DP and of course there are several of us who have used it extensively and would be glad to help you with any problems.

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Garrett
    Hi Jerry,

I have used both Logic and Digital Performer. Never used Traction. I have found DP to be extraordinarily intuitive and easy to learn.
    Karl
    Thanks Karl!

Hey - did you ever try out my lullaby on the guitar? Frank (Hardy Heern) put lyrics to it!

I'd like to hear what you come up with.

Thanks,

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

ItÕs been a hectic past few days. Both my guitars have broken strings and your piece is still on my desktop. Hope to get to practice on Tuesday, so IÕll try it out then. It should be fun.

Karl

Go Back to forum