• Register
  • Help

Topic: Getting Started...

Share/Bookmark

Getting Started...

Hello All,

My apologies if this is not in the right forum, but I have found the posters here to be quite friendly, so I hope you have it in your heart to help a newbie out.

I am in the process of sifting through the abundance of ads/reviews/etc of all types of music programs. I have an immense desire to start making music through virtual instruments. Composing pieces along the likes of E.S. Posthumus and Craig Armstrong (some choral with ambient & heavy percussions and "electronic percussion/effects") have piqued my interest.

However, I do not yet have a full understanding of the workings of all of the applications involved. Perhaps if someone could explain the various applications in terms of the human body...the heart, nervous system, etc...basically how everything is intertwined.

For background, I am currently only armed with Finale...no electric keyboard...nothing else. I'm not worried about PC specifications at this point. I'm a lot more knowledgebale in that regard.

Presently, I have two programs that I seem to favor in their respective genres...
    #1. Garritan Personal Orchestra - Best samples I've heard
    #2. StormDrum - Heavy percussion/Hollywood-esque

Please feel free to chime in. Remember that I'm a newbie, and have not yet pieced together the full meaning of all abbreviations.....I'm looking forward to your correspondence. It will give me more insight on what I need, what is available, and how I may best manage my finances.

Thank you in advance.

Re: Getting Started...

BDogg,

You really can't go wrong with GPO... so much for so little... it's simply amazing!
    So much has already been said about both where it's strongest and weakest, that's up to you and the forum search button... have fun, there is A LOT!

As for SD (StormDrum) I don't own it so I can't tell you first hand... the production notes look cool for it if you like that huge hollywood sound... and I think it was mentioned somewhere that it was used in the Tom Cruise Samari movie trailer...

Using GPO with Finale will work fine, many here are...

Good luck...
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

You can use Finale to play the GPO samples by using the GPO studio. (free download) Basically in your Finale midi setup you'll assign a different midi channel to each staff. Instead of routing your Finale output through your soundcard and it's general midi sounds, you'll route it to the GPO studio. In GPO studio you simply load the appropriate instrument into the corresponding midi channel. You use the same playback tool in Finale you're familiar with.

I'm not familiar with Stormdrum so I can't comment on it other than to say if you choose to export your Finale midi file into a sequencer you'll have a lot more options open to you.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner
    You can use Finale to play the GPO samples by using the GPO studio. (free download) Basically in your Finale midi setup you'll assign a different midi channel to each staff. Instead of routing your Finale output through your soundcard and it's general midi sounds, you'll route it to the GPO studio. In GPO studio you simply load the appropriate instrument into the corresponding midi channel. You use the same playback tool in Finale you're familiar with.

I'm not familiar with Stormdrum so I can't comment on it other than to say if you choose to export your Finale midi file into a sequencer you'll have a lot more options open to you.

Jeff
    Jeff, Well put. I have been really trying to tweak my scores so the playback is more natural. I find that turning off "human playback" often helps things sound better for some reason. Other times, i like the result with it on - i guess it just depends on the piece and what soound I am going for.

Hey - I am living in NW Illinois too. Where are you? (IF you don't want to tell me in the forum, PM me.
    Thanks,

Jerry

Go Back to forum