• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO and Finale

Share/Bookmark

GPO and Finale

I'm curious if anyone has been using GPO with Finale. My father is a music director at a church and would like to have better sounds to use with finale (he's using GM sounds right now). I was thinking of getting him a GPO setup, but I'm concerned he couldn't get enough sounds due to the 8 instrument limitation. Anybody else using GPO with Finale and have a suggestion on how to set it up for writing for a full orchestra?

Thanks!
    J-

Re: GPO and Finale

Quote Originally Posted by J. Whaley
    I'm curious if anyone has been using GPO with Finale. My father is a music director at a church and would like to have better sounds to use with finale (he's using GM sounds right now). I was thinking of getting him a GPO setup, but I'm concerned he couldn't get enough sounds due to the 8 instrument limitation. Anybody else using GPO with Finale and have a suggestion on how to set it up for writing for a full orchestra?

Thanks!
    J-
    Yes, yes, yes! GPO works great with Finale! The key is to use the GPO Studio accessory. It's a VST host that will run up to eight instances of GPO's Kontakt player, plus has a VST reverb plug-in added in for good measure. Using GPO Studio, you can load up to 64 instruments, and access them all from within Finale.

There are some differences between the way GPO controls things and the way those ol' GM modules do it, but that's easily workable in Finale. For example, on all GPO's wind instruments the Mod Wheel (CC1) controls instrument volume, while the GM standard would use Key Velocity. In Finale, it's easy to create a text expression that addresses the mod wheel instead of key velocity. Once you've done it a couple of times, it becomes second nature.

There are several good tutorials on setting up Finale to run with GPO, and of course all of us helpful folks here, that can answer questions and help him learn the ropes, as well. Once he's used GPO, he'll never be able to stand listening to that old GM soundfont again!

D.
    "He heals the brokenhearted and bandages their wounds"
    --Psalm 147:3

J,

That was the reason behind GPO studio...

I haven't used Finale and GPO, but I use Overture and GPO often and can tell you it works fine...

I would think that Finale would work the same.

I have an older version of Finale, I'll give it a shot tonight and give you a quick call if you'll be home to let you know how it goes...
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

J.

As long as your dad's computer has enough ram and a fast CPU, a full orchestra shouldn't be a problem. If he's using Finale 2004, I've been getting better results with Finale's Human playback turned off.

Good luck,
    Jeff

Smile Re: GPO and Finale

Quote Originally Posted by J. Whaley

Thanks!
    J-
    Acutally, you can use all 64 instruments in the GPO studio when using Finale 2004. Finale separates the midi channels into 4 ports. (1-16, 17-32, etc) Even though it looks like you can only select one player when you are in the midi setup for each port, you can actually select two players per port by holding down the shift button when selecting the second player from the list.
    I learned this neat trick from an email Gary sent. He had asked the follks at Make Music! about this and they sent a reply, which he sent to me!

If you have a slower machine, I would recommend upping the buffer size and lowering the sample rate (if needed). This allows for more instruments to play at the same time. Be warned though, reducing the sample rate naturally reduces the quality of the sound, but there are a lot of choices in the sample rates, so you can find a happy medium if upping the buffer doesn't completely solve the problem.

Jerry Wickham
    Last edited by Jerry W.; 07-06-2004 at 05:26 PM. Reason: typos

Coolness.. that's what i get for not reading all my manual! I'm guessing GPO studio is available on the CD? Or actually, I'm vaguely remembering it's at Garritan.com. I'll snoop around a bit and see if I can get it working on my system before I mess up his!! Thanks for your input.

J-

J. Whaley,

So that's where you get your talent? It runs in the family.

If you go to the GPO-Finale Resource page at http://www.garritan.com/GPO-FinalePage.html
    you will find tutorials (for setting up GPO and Finale), Finale song files, Finale plugins and other useful information.

I think your father is going to enjoy the expanded soundset. He should be able to get upwards of 64 instruments/staves going.

Hope this helps.

Gary Garritan

Thanks Gary

I already found the pages and downloaded the tool. Hey I even learned I can use it with Sibelius!! This should be fun. can't believe I never took the time to read about it. I'm going to have some fun this week

J-

Hello,
    I was looking at the garriton web site and I wanted to download the mus files, but the version seems to be uncompatible for "peace" and "bethoven's 5th".
    What version of Final is being used? Mine is 2002 version.
    Thanks,
    Georg

Go Back to forum