• Register
  • Help

Topic: Hint for better CPU performance

Share/Bookmark

Wink Hint for better CPU performance

There has been much written here about poor performance of GPO on a Mac but I donÕt remember this hint being talked about. If it has, dear moderator, please feel free to pull this post.

Of course, the fastest machine and the most ram you can get is most important, but I just wanted to mention something that a new user of GPO might forget. In DP on a Mac, it is very easy once you have played some music with lets say a string section, and you have worked that MOD wheel until it has been driven deep into your keyboard, to thin that incredible amount of data that has been written. I find that once IÕve achieved the shapes I want, that if I thin this data using DPÕs ÒThin Continuous DataÓ command, that it doesnÕt affect the overall sound very much. As long as you donÕt destroy the general shapes you have created at first this works wonders to free up CPU resources.

Once you have things the way you want them, and just before you convert to audio, use the same command, setting the resolution higher again. Burn one track at a time doing this for each track, and youÕll keep your expression and be able to get more instruments in at the same time.

IÕm sure that other sequences have this same command. IÕm sorry if this doesnÕt make sense, but I donÕt have a lot of time at this moment but wanted to share this wile I was thinking about it.

Re: Hint for better CPU performance

HI Karl,

This is very good advice.

Last I recall, though, thinning continuous data didn't work for me. I can't remember which prior incarnation of DP that was with, and I reported it to Motu tech support, but apparently from your post I can conclude that it is working again. That's great, I'll put it to use again.

I have a hunch the other sequencers might have something similar to this feature of DP, if so, it will be useful for lots of others as well.

Trond

Re: Hint for better CPU performance

Quote Originally Posted by dnortana
    Last I recall, though, thinning continuous data didn't work for me. I can't remember which prior incarnation of DP that was with, and I reported it to Motu tech support, but apparently from your post I can conclude that it is working again. That's great, I'll put it to use again.
    Hi Trond,

Yep, it's alive and well again. I've found that I can thin down to one point (for lack of a better term) for every 10-15 ticks. Sometimes this value gives the dreaded zipper effect, but re-thickening back to 1 every 5 ticks right before printing to audio brings back the smoothness.

Karl

Go Back to forum