• Register
  • Help

Topic: Real curious for reactions

Share/Bookmark

Real curious for reactions

As I struggle in my self-learning of GPO and samples in general I would be real curious for comments about this piece I worked on, kind of fitting for the patriotic holiday:

http://www.musicv2.com/artist/mtlen/supertheme2
    Its a 4.4mb file, there is about 15secs of lead silence, just so you know.

Re: Real curious for reactions

matolen,

You picked a hard one to do. Everybody knows this Williams score and how it sounds with the LSO. Tough to re-create that especially as you learn how to use GPO. If I were you I'd definately do very critical A-B comparisons with the original. What I noticed most was mixing inconsistencies. It sounded to me like the brass were placed in front of the orchestra instead of the back. Maybe this is what you wanted.

I haven't heard the original in a number of years, but the following things stuck out to me
    1:15 - sounds like a wrong note in the low brass?
    2:00 - Horn/trombone entrance seems too loud
    2:43 - something off here, cello maybe?
    2:50 - high string downbeat seems late
    2:59 - high string accompaniment doesn't seem delicate enough
    3:24 - high strings too loud
    4:39 - this ending is different from how I remember it. I remember keeping the high "G" on top.

Don't get me wrong. It sounded really good. Just trying to point out places where I'd tweak it.

Jeff

Wow, I like the remix of the Superman March.

Brass does sound a little odd; I've never been able to get that effect using GPO...are those muted trumpets?

Quote Originally Posted by matolen
    As I struggle in my self-learning of GPO and samples in general I would be real curious for comments about this piece I worked on, kind of fitting for the patriotic holiday:

http://www.musicv2.com/artist/mtlen/supertheme2
    Its a 4.4mb file, there is about 15secs of lead silence, just so you know.
    Interesting interpretation (apart from the wrong? notes)! Still, bldooy good effort for your first go.....it's very lively and upfront with good production. Brass sounds really good 'n bright around 40secs and 2:10 and elsewhere for that matter.

I'm not going to criticize unless I get a signed waiver that you don't mind! Only kidding!

Frank

Wink Re: Real curious for reactions

Hi matolen,

your piece is done very nice, although a John Williams re-make is one of the most difficult things composers can do. But I think you have done a good job.

But please tell me why you´ve chosen the superman theme .... ? Is there any specific idea behind it or was it pure chance? I´d rather hear your interpretation of the star wars theme or the jurassic park theme ....

Greeting,

Blackster
    "Time is the best teacher. But unfortunately she kills all her students ..." - Terry Pratchett

www.genloc.net

Superman is an American icon, and this was posted on July 4th.

Wink Re: Real curious for reactions

Ok, now I got the deeper sense of this choice thnx.
    "Time is the best teacher. But unfortunately she kills all her students ..." - Terry Pratchett

www.genloc.net

I want to thank you for your comments. I am glad people like it; I am fascinated by the sample libraries, but have been frustrated by them as well. I guess its just a matter of sweat and time.

Mark

Go Back to forum