• Register
  • Help

Topic: Blues,anyone?

Share/Bookmark

Blues,anyone?

i've posted a few things here before but this is different from my usual stuff.
    thought i try my hand at an arrangement of the great bill withers song - "ain't no sunshine"
    i wrote this out in Overture, recorded it in Cubase using GPO, Kontakt and Reaktor, and René B mastered it in Samplitude for me after allowing me to mix it. i've never used Samplitude before, and i was really impressed with it, it's a great program.
    anyway - ain't no sunshine
    http://www.ampcast.com/music/11385/artist.php
    all comments and offers of free beer welcome.
    slán
    mick ó c

Re: Blues,anyone?

my avatar has disappeared and i can't get it back.
    ????????

I very much like your orchestration and arrangement but I think the brass that is playing the melody is poor. It badly needs some vibrato and and more dynamics. This is very apparent in the solo.

The arrangement would have done Ray Charles proud apart from this....I can't say more than that.....except how come an Irishman is living in Holland?

Frank

Remember! Opinions are like as*holes and I may be one!

ailteoir,

This is a nice departure.
    I liked your arrangement of "Ain't No Sunshine". Is the brass playing the melody together with Reactor? If you want a different brass sound then there are some other things that can be done. I will defer to Tom or some of our GPO brass players.

I too am a fan of Samplitude and have used it extensively with GPO. There are things I can do in Samplitude that are not possible with other programs.

Thanks for posting another demo. I am still enjoying the Scottish tune you previously posted. I'll take you up on that beer sometime.

Thanks for posting this.

Gary Garritan

PS - I like your spinnig Avatar of the national instrument of Ireland!

Hey Gary, you always talking about stuff you do in Garritan, why don't you ever put up some of the stuff that *you've* done? I'd really like to hear it!

thanks for taking a listen folks and after sulking for a while i got around to re-mixing the piece. i don't know if the brass is better, but it is certainly louder.
    unfortunately i hadn't seen Tom's posting on trumpet rips untill after i'd finished this so....but i look forward to his tutorial.
    i've pulled the saxophone sample out and added trombones. i wanted to try for that wasp in a bottle miles davis sound on the trumpet but i couldn't get anything that sounded half way decent, but if any one has any ideas..
    Gary the lead line is doubled by a synth in reaktor but i mostly used reaktor to process the rhythm section to get that sort of reggae-ish beat in the back ground.
    Frank how come an irishman's living in holland? well it's far too expensive to live in ireland these days, they'd nearly tax you for standing still too long. although it's getting almost as bad here now as well.
    one more thing i too would love to hear something by Gary.
    well here's the link again
    http://www.ampcast.com/music/11385/artist.php

slán

mick ó c

oh btw the avatar doesn't spin on my computer. it does on the profile page though. weird!

I was just listening again and was thinking what a great sounding bass riff.

I thought your avatar was a tribute to Gary....The Great Harp of Orcas!

I bet he'll buy it off you....just state your price!

My inlaws live on the outskirts of Rotterdam and my brother-in-laws live near Utrecht and the other in Sevebergen near Doordrecht.

Dank je vel

Frank

Go Back to forum