• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 MIDI Controller Review

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 MIDI Controller Review

Hi everyone. My Keystation Pro 88 arrived today, and I thought some of you might be interested in hearing about it's key response and features.

I like the key response. It definitely has weight to it. It may be a bit too much weight/bounce for some, but I enjoy the feel, and am getting used to it. The keys are really nice quality (as are all the faders, knobs and buttons.)

The pitch and mod wheels are also a nice surprise. They both respond very quickly, and effortlessly to the touch, and stop right when you let go. The pitch wheel doesn't seem to bounce over the center line. It stops in it's tracks, which is a definite plus for me.

The 24 included (twenty four) included rotary knobs are all nicely sized, with a good rubber grip for you tweakers. The 9 faders are really cool too. They have a solid glide to them, and stop right when you let go. No drifting.

I haven't had a chance to try all of it's features out, so that's where my review ends. If this board interests you, I suggest trying it out locally, if possible, just to make sure you like the way the keys respond.

Here's the web page for it. And no, M-Audio did NOT pay me to post this.

http://m-audio.com/index.php?do=prod...b1c6ffaa247f5b

I figured I'd give everyone here and hand, and let them get some user input before forking any dough out for it.

Later,
    Mike

Re: M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 MIDI Controller Review

How is the velocity response? Not too touchy?

It has standard velocity response, as well as eight not so standard velocity curves, which have some unusual pressure to velocity output levels. You can get the user's manual from their web site in .pdf format to view the velocity curves chart. On linear velocity curve, it seems just fine to me, but everyone has their own tastes.

Hi unconscious sound,

I'm quite interested in this - how does it compare with ex. Fatar 1100?

Is action harder or softer?

regards
    Thomas Hansen Skarbye
    Singer, Bass Player, Composer
    & Creative Director, SCARBEE

www.scarbee.com & www.myspace.com/scarbee

Hi Scarbee,

The only Fatar I used was my SL161, which is synth weighted. I like this new board alot more, especially with the White Grand! It really feels (to me) like I'm really playing a grand piano! If I had to guess, I'd say it has a medium-medium hard feel to pressing the keys. Probably more medium than anything else. The keys have a slight bounce when they arrive back at the top, which can help with some paradiddles on the piano. I'm just getting the hang of this new feel, so it will take me some time. Regardless of the keys, everything else seems very nice and well-built. I hope you can demo it where you live, Scarbee.

Later,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by unconscious sound
    It has standard velocity response, as well as eight not so standard velocity curves, which have some unusual pressure to velocity output levels. You can get the user's manual from their web site in .pdf format to view the velocity curves chart. On linear velocity curve, it seems just fine to me, but everyone has their own tastes.
    One problem I have with my Evolution MK361C is that the velocity response sucks. You have to touch the keys very light to play soft, it hits 127 far too easy when you're playing and not hitting the keys that hard. The M-Audio does not suffer from this I take it?

When i tested it at MusikMesse in Frankfurt this Spring,
    I really didn't like the touch that much. I really preferred
    my old KX-88 (where the touch is a bit tighter/heavier) -
    and obviously stuff like the MP9500 or Fantom X8 is much,
    much better, but much more expensive also ;-)

There was a review in the German "Keys" magazin just
    this week, and they also said, that the touch is not
    that great for normal piano. But they also said that
    it felt good for epiano-play...

Tobias

I guess the real question is: Is with worth the $500?

Does it have aftertouch?
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

No aftertouch. I know that will come as a disappointment to many, but I personally don't even use that feature, so I'm OK with it. With everything else the unit does have, it is a shame that this is not included.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast