• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Need some feedback on this...

Share/Bookmark

Need some feedback on this...

Here's my first work done with GPO. To be honest, I'm not sure whether I like it -- I think I've listened to it too much while 'tweaking' and lost my objectivity. My wife says she likes it a lot, but then again she'd be supportive if it sounded like hammered horseradish. I need some feedback from you folks who haven't been burned out by it yet. and aren't obligated to like it...

http://www.case-studies.com/mp3/Need01.mp3

This is a little piece I wrote for Brass Quintet, titled "Need." I initially wrote it in Finale 2004, then exported it to a MIDI file and did the "serious" MIDI editing with Midi Maestro 4. MIDI playback from MM4, using Bidule to host GPO so I could insert some EQ into the two trumpets to take a little of the 'edge' off of them (we really could use a little darker trumpet sound, Gary -- or, a nice shepherd's crook cornet ) Reverb courtesy of Ambience.

Your feedback is both welcome and solicited -- I need to hear this through a set of untainted ears.

Thanks, y'all!

D.
    "He heals the brokenhearted and bandages their wounds"
    --Psalm 147:3

Re: Need some feedback on this...

Hell of a nice first effort. It seems to have this faint Copland vibe or something. I can't really pinpoint why exactly, but it still sounds cool to me.
    -E

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson."

Smile Re: Need some feedback on this...

Hi dancase,

for your 1st piece with GPO, I like it. Nice composition.

Maybe you try these tasks to improve your sound:

- use a reverb, I don´t know wether you already use one, in that case, make sure, that raise up the "wet" or "mix" controller (that depends on the effect itself)

- try to place your instruments more to the right and the left side with the PAN - function

But nevertheless, well done!

Greeting,

Blackster
    "Time is the best teacher. But unfortunately she kills all her students ..." - Terry Pratchett

www.genloc.net

Dancase, this is a good effort. I'm very fond of traditional brass bands...there's a fair following in the UK. Do you see the American version of 'Ground Force' the gardening programme?......that always uses a brass band throughout...very effectively IMHO.

What does surprise me is just how good the brass sounds here....nice and bright...I think that folk are only now really finding out how to use the GPO brass. I must admit that I thought they sounded a bit dull in the early days but a number of pieces including this are changing my mind.

BTW I think your production is very good.

The actual composition is a bit to modern for my taste but I thought it could be improved if it had a regular meter and more rhythm.....but that probably wasn't your intention.

Frank

Opinions are like a**holes and this is mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy Heern
    Do you see the American version of 'Ground Force' the gardening programme?......that always uses a brass band throughout...very effectively IMHO.
    Hey Frank. I watched on BBC America (one of my favorite stations) until Alan left. I always thought the music on that show was awesome. Do you happen to know who the composer is? -Chad
    Me fail English? That's unpossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy Heern
    What does surprise me is just how good the brass sounds here....nice and bright...I think that folk are only now really finding out how to use the GPO brass. I must admit that I thought they sounded a bit dull in the early days but a number of pieces including this are changing my mind.
    Frank, this was a real GPO Brass learning experience for me. I found, for example, that there is quite a range of timbre in the trumpets -- and it can be challenging trying to do the sort of massive crescendos that are common with brass band music. It's easy to have a point where they suddenly brighten up and jump out at you in the middle of a strain (probably changing samples) -- I wrestled with that a lot. I learned to avoid quick changes in the mod wheel, and to combine several steps into a single, smooth ramp. The timbre change still happens, but it's a gentler, ore musical one. The relationship between velocity (attack) and mod wheel (dynamics) is a complex one that I still haven't been able to define well in my own mind. What I do know for sure is that GPO's brass can be made to sound very good, and can also me made to sound like a soundblaster card. It's all in the application. The weakest points are with articulations, which I believe will be addressed in a coming update.

I'm also a Brass Band player. I'm waiting for a flugelhorn and baritone/tenor horns before trying any full brass band pieces with GPO. Unlike some other libraries, the French Horns in GPO sound too much like French Horns to fake those other instruments!

D.

Dancase,

Nice job. The brass instruments are fun to explore and experiment with. Layering the overlays either on entire tracks or just specific notes really changes the color of the sound. My favorite thing about the GPO brass is that my chops never get tired and I never have to empty a spit valve.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by CString
    Hey Frank. I watched on BBC America (one of my favorite stations) until Alan left. I always thought the music on that show was awesome. Do you happen to know who the composer is? -Chad
    Hi Chad,

I made a silly mistake; the programme is, of course, 'Ground Force' not 'Gardener's world' (that's a radio programme here).

I just looked it up and the composer is a 'Jim Parker' of the very famous (in the UK, at least) Black Dyke Band (It was more famously known as the Black Dyke Mills band....I don't know if that still exists separately or they just changed their name.

There is a long tradition in the UK amongst many coal miners that the pit runs a band and as I say this is one of the most well known. (If you're interested, in a similar vein, the Welsh coal miners are famous for their male voice choirs too and the 'best of' one of these choirs will make the hairs on your neck lift!) These folk had damn hard lives but found joy and camaradie in their music.

The Black Dyke Band site with the CD is http://www.blackdykeband.co.uk/bdb/2...cds/gforce.htm and now I've found it I will purchase it myself I think as its a chirpy little piece. All the other pieces on the CD are by Jim Parker too....must be quite a lad....
    It's available on Amazon.com but a bit pricey (I thought) at $25 until I looked at Amazon.co.uk where it is priced, bizarrely, at £28 ($50!!!!!). Whaaaaa!!!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...798710-9835911

or the UK Amazon if you want a laugh at our price!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...684220-6008468

Regards

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner
    Dancase,

My favorite thing about the GPO brass is that my chops never get tired and I never have to empty a spit valve.

Jeff

... not to mention that my intonation is always right and I always hit the high notes -- every time!

D.

"Frank, this was a real GPO Brass learning experience for me......"

Thanks for sharing your GPO brass experience and tips Dan...it all adds up!

frank

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast