• Register
  • Help

Topic: How's everyones composition contest pieces coming?

Share/Bookmark

How's everyones composition contest pieces coming?

Just wondering how everyone is doing with the Garritan Personal Orchestra composition contest?

Hard at work on amazing pieces, I'm sure you all are...

I can't wait for some of them to start rolling in, I know Gary's gotten quite a few entries... just hoping everyone is doing well with their's...
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Re: How's everyones composition contest pieces coming?

I've narrowed down my entries to 5.

Actually, my entries will probably come in at the last second, since I'm so overwhelmed at the moment.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

I haven't submitted a thing. I keep hoping that maybe my orchestration skills will improve by November so I can drop the GPO bomb on Gary at the last minute. We'll see. One can always dream. And hey, there's always next year, I think...

ditto to that last comment.
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Mr. Burrell, I look forward to your new work very much!

Skysaw, hope things calm down for you so you can get some personal music work done...

dewdman, I really like your sig - either its new, or I really have been missing alot here...
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Heheh... "The Stone King" was originally supossed to be for this contest, but I think it's too long now.
    C. Foster Payne
    Amateur Composer/Orchestrator
    http://FosterPayne.com/default.aspx

Can't enter it.

I'm using the contest as a motivator to study orchestration. Before this summer, I was only making MIDI's, but there is so much difference between making a MIDI sound good and making some real orchestral samples sound good. It's a great opportunity to have. I've bought a couple books on orchestration and I am working my way through them.

A bit off the subject, but I had the chance over the weekend to check out my college's library, and they literally had shelves and shelves of books just dedicated to orchestration, including all the old out-of-print books! I can't wait to have access to them!

We have received several dozen entries so far. There is still plenty of time before the deadline so take time to make your music the best it could be. Many new sponsors are participating so there will be lots of prizes.
    Looking forward to your participation.

Gary Garritan

PS: Sean - Libraries are great places to find many gems on orchestration. There are many little-known texts that are excellent.

I think I'm another one of those people who is hoping that my orchestration gets better by the end of the year (you know, that thing called skill that I dont' have a lot of....) Maybe I'll have something that I'm proud of and feel is decent enough to submit...
    Tim

Go Back to forum