• Register
  • Help

Topic: Best VSL sample for "Legato" strings?????

Share/Bookmark

Question Best VSL sample for "Legato" strings?????

There have been so many wonderful demos posted on the Northern Sounds forum using the "Vienna Symphonic Library".... I was wondering something....just as a general question.

When it comes to authentic "legato" string sections... what VSL String sample/samples are most of you using? (Orch. Cube, Pro Edition or Performance Set, Etc.?) I mean, the "Performance Set" has the "Performance Tools"..... and I understand that it works just great for legato melody lines.... but how about a really nice legato string ensemble sample to go underneath a melody. Just wondering what most of you would suggest. Thanks, Gary

Re: Best VSL sample for "Legato" strings?????

I guess the next closest thing to the performance samples would probably be the 0sus sustained samples. Those are the ones with the attack removed. I've been having problems with fast legato, which I still haven't solved. The 0sus seem to be the closest for that.

I think in the Symphonic Cube there's going to be some sort of fast legato performance samples, so that ought to solve my problem. I don't know when the heck it's coming out though.
    Anthony Lombardi, composer
    www.anthonylombardi.com

Wink Re: Best VSL sample for "Legato" strings?????

Thanks for the reply, Tony.... Yeah, it seems that the most difficult "ensemble string" sample-sound to reproduce in a midi setting is the "legato." Some of the samples I've been using either start too abruptly... or they kinda "cut-off" in-between the chordal passages.... and that doesn't really sound too cool. I have heard that the "Performance Tools" is just great for single note "authentic-sounding" leads.... I just gotta work out the "legato" end of my compositions... and then I'll be all set. Also, I have noticed that a some of the midi-composers on this forum have been blending the VSL strings with other libraries (SISS or KH string...for example) and that produces a very good sound. Any other ideas for the "VSL real legato patch" will be welcome. Thanks again, Tony.... for your help. Gary

Hey Tony, why not use perf grace notes ? It's better than perf legato for fast movements.

I'm not sure if this applies to you - but it seems to be a common misunderstanding on this board that the VSL-Legatos (and all the other "Performances") are only available for solo-instruments. Quite contrary: the ensembles share the same logical structure as the solo-instruments, thus the legato-, repetition- and alternation-samples are there within the Vienna Symphonic Library string-sections, too.

HTH,

Question Re: Best VSL sample for "Legato" strings?????

Dietz, I was not aware of that. Do you mean that the "Performance Tools" (Legato, Alternations & Repetions) will work equally as well with the "non-solo" patches. For example, would a sample from the "String Ensembles" catagorie work properly in the "Legato Performance Tools?" I kinda thought that the "Performance Tools" was only for the "solo" instruments.... you know, like the "legato" setting is sorta set up for just monophonic use. I was not aware that the "Perf. Tools", (especially the legatos) would work with the polyphonic "String Section" samples too.

Is that what you're saying? If you have any more info.... it would be very helpful. Thanks ............ GT

bah violins ensemble, horn ensemble etc... samples have been recorded.

Thumbs up Re: Best VSL sample for "Legato" strings?????

Thank Sharmy.... Okay, I get it now
    Yeah, there are some times when I'll use an "open-voiced" chord for the string parts... under a melody line. But, generally, I do like to use the "individual" string parts for composing. And yes, you are 100% right... it does sound more realistic that way. Thanks once again for your informative reply. I really appreciate it Gary

Go Back to forum