• Register
  • Help

Topic: SONAR patch change to GigaStudio 2.5

Share/Bookmark

Red face SONAR patch change to GigaStudio 2.5

New user to GigaStudio - pardon the ignorant question.

How can I send patch change commands in SONAR (2.2) to GigaStudio (2.5)?

Since the instruments in GigaStudio can be loaded and unloaded at will, I need a way to query it to get the current instrument list, but all SONAR seems to recognize is the MIDI port and the Channel. How can I get SONAR to give me a list of instruments that are currently loaded in GigaStudio so I can do a patch change?

Rob Bernard
    Bionic Lime Music

Re: SONAR patch change to GigaStudio 2.5

There’s no way to get the instrument lists out of GS. You need to load all needed instruments (even if they’re not actively assigned to a channel), and save the performance, so that all instruments maintain the patch number. Better yet, edit all you Giga instruments and assign a unique Bank/Patch number.

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, I'm not at my machine where I can try this, but I have a further question.

The problem I saw was this. I opened the events window of a particular track, inserted an event, changed the event type to a patch change, but there was no available banks (except the default), and the instrument list was the standard General MIDI setup.

I am assuming that I have to export the loaded instruments in GS to a form in which SONAR can read. Is that correct? If so, then how do I do this in GS (and how would I import it in Sonar)?

Thanks again!

Rob Bernard

hv

Quote Originally Posted by BionicLime
    The problem I saw was this. I opened the events window of a particular track, inserted an event, changed the event type to a patch change, but there was no available banks (except the default), and the instrument list was the standard General MIDI setup.

I am assuming that I have to export the loaded instruments in GS to a form in which SONAR can read. Is that correct? If so, then how do I do this in GS (and how would I import it in Sonar)?
    I can tell you how I deal with it. Generally I just punch the instrument numbers into each of Sonars midi tracks in track view without loading an instrument def. But I mention the instrument names in the track name space (reads "MIDI 1" by default). Helps me remember what each track is. And also save the instrument setup as a GS performance as suggested above. If you want to get fancy, you could construct your own instrument def file manually in Sonar with their Instrument editor... I used to do that with percussion boxes and keyboards but not so much with GS.

Howard

Question Re: SONAR patch change to GigaStudio 2.5

Thanks Howard, but I'm still confused.

Loading the instruments is no problem, and I type the names in the track box. But if I want to send a dynamic patch change event (changing from legato violins to stacatto violins, which are two different instruments), how does SONAR realize that there are other instruments available?

What am I missing from what you said?

Thanks.

You have to forget the Instrument list in Sonar. That’s for fixed function sound modules. Use the Insert menu to insert a Bank/Patch change.

When I first got Giga it drove me nuts that loading up a bunch of instruments would give unpredictable instrument mappings. Here's my solution...

I edited all of my go-to gigs and gave them unique bank and program numbers. And I did it in a semi-organized fashion.

For instance I might set my Westgate Studios Flute as Bank 11. And then I'd set program number 0 to be sustained vibrato, program 1 to be marcato, program 2 portato, etc...

Then I'd go to the Westgate Oboe and make it Bank 12. And I'd give the voicings the same program numbers. Sometimes they line up, sometimes they don't, so I'd just tack on new program numbers for new articulations and leave holes for the missing ones.

After a while I found that most instruments have roughly similar articulation sets, so I would keep my mapping as close as possible. Feel free to break the rules.

I then made a soundset in Sibelius (my main notation package) and everything lines up every time. I still need to load in the correct perfromance into Giga to have everything available for a given score, but this technique has made it easy for me to do things predictably. I've memorized many of my "standard" articulation programs, so I can do program changes without even looking at my cheat sheet.

I've regained (part of!) my sanity when using Giga now...

-Jon Fairhurst

Smile Re: SONAR patch change to GigaStudio 2.5

Don't kid yourself Jon

Go Back to forum