• Register
  • Help

Topic: Seagate, WD or Maxtor for new PC + specs

Share/Bookmark

Seagate, WD or Maxtor for new PC + specs

I'm about to order a new PC for Giga 3.0. The salesman said I should go with Maxtor instead of WD because they are more silent. But now I see that Carillon (they build PCs for music applications) only uses Seagate drives. What should I do?

Here's what he recommended:

Intel D865GLCLK M-ATX
    Kingston 512MB 400Mhz DDR (x4)
    Maxtor 6Y120M0 120 GB Serial ATA150 (x2)
    Zalman CNPS7000A-CU
    Zalman ZM-OP1 80mm Fan
    Intel P4 3,00 Ghz HT FSB800
    Lit On LDW-8515 8x DVD+/RW
    Fortron 400W 400-60PN SATA

-Raid (config) 2x 120GB 7200RPM
    -400Mhz Dual Channel Memory
    -SATA (150MB p.s)

Does it look OK?

Thanks

------------
    Alex Cremers

Post Re: Seagate, WD or Maxtor for new PC + specs

It´s a Good Machine!!,
    but i recomends you Segate Barracuda VI in your Raid, taking care that it´s firmware it´s OkA, for RAid, i had problems in my Own.., but Segate Flys in RAids.........................!!!.

Take CAre.
    D.M

Re: Seagate, WD or Maxtor for new PC + specs

Plus... Seagate is QUITE

Well, I asked him today if he could get the Seagate drives but he said that they can only order WD or Maxtor. Again he assured me that the Maxtors are very, very, VERY quiet. He truly believes in them. Anyone can testify to that?

You may want to look into the 875 chipset motherboards if running SATA drives. The main SATA ports are part of the chipset on the 875 motherboards instead of being a 3rd party controller. This port is on a dedicated bus with better throughput.

Yes, the motherboard will be changed. The 865 was configured for a smaller desktop PC.

One other thing to keep in mind. I was advised it is better to go with 2 x 1 gig sticks of Ram than 4x512 . I bought the Corsair TwinX2048-3200 and am running them at cass 2.5-3-3-8
    I also run the Raptors on the ICH5R bus. Is all working very smoothly...and very fast!

My rig..
    P4 3.2 Northwood
    Asus P4C800-E deluxe (V1016)
    RME HDSP 9632 (2.81)
    RME AO4S-192
    Corsair TwinX2048-3200 (2gig) @2.5-3-3-8
    Asus V9520 FX 5200
    2x Raptor 74GB 10k in Raid 0 (samples)
    2x WD 80 GB 7200 (Sata) in Raid 1 (system/mirror)
    Pioneer 107D DVD-RW
    Antec Sonata with extra 120mm fan
    Sonar v3 PE
    Adobe Audition 1.5
    GS3 (soon!)

good luck
    Mal

Yeah, I asked about the RAM but it was proposed for budgetary reasons. 1GB stickies still seem to be very expensive. Any particular reason why it's suppose to be better (besides freeing up 2 slots)?
    Hey Mal, why do you have four hard disks of relatively small size? Isn't that asking for extra noise? My goal is that I only want to hear my PC when I put my ear against it.

------------
    Alex Cremers

[QUOTE=
    Hey Mal, why do you have four hard disks of relatively small size? Isn't that asking for extra noise? My goal is that I only want to hear my PC when I put my ear against it.

------------
    Alex Cremers[/QUOTE]

Hi Alex,
    I only use Gigastudio for piano libraries so the 2 Raptors in Raid 0 give me about 100gigs+ of usable disk space, which is more than enough for me. The Raptors speed hopefully will help to reduce latency also.
    I was advised by Ram Guy (Corsair) and Tascams Technical people that 2x1gig sticks is the best way to go, so took their advice. Here in Australia there was not a huge difference in price

Mal

Go Back to forum