• Register
  • Help

Topic: Just ordered the Emperor

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up Just ordered the Emperor

Well I'll have to let ya all know what it's like. For that price it sounds good to me.

Smile Re: Just ordered the Emperor

Quote Originally Posted by Briguy
    Well I'll have to let ya all know what it's like. For that price it sounds good to me.
    Right on !

I' ll be interested in your experience with it. I was going back and forth between "Emperor" and "Old Lady" libraries..In the end, the "Old Lady" won out for me.

Fozzy

Re: Just ordered the Emperor

Quote Originally Posted by fozzy
    Right on !

I' ll be interested in your experience with it. I was going back and forth between "Emperor" and "Old Lady" libraries..In the end, the "Old Lady" won out for me.

Fozzy
    I ordered it too few day ago...still no word from Michiel though...
    Jan Nemecek
    www.jannemecek.net

Quote Originally Posted by fozzy
    Right on !

Fozzy
    Yes I will let you know. I too was debating on the old lady library. Back and forth with the demos, geez, I'll eventually get that library too. For now I am content with the sound of the Emp. One thing I really like about the Old, is the how bright it picks up when you play the notes hard. From soft to loud and bright. Very nicely sampled.

I have now both Old Lady and Emperor and I made a first attempt at rendering some file. I choose Ondine by Ravel in the MIDI version by Robert Finley (e.g. http://edessa.topo.auth.gr/pub/midi/...ley/ondine.zip) to test both pianos.

Old Lady: very clean and clear, I really like it. However the pedal noises are a bit intrusive, and there is some background rumble, easily noticeable with headphones.

Emperor: it's a bit of a disappointment. There are some extra noises in my copy on the 12-vel down instrument (like someone moving a chair); the problem is very noticeable at the beginning of Ondine, and is apparently on one of the low-velocity layers. I will post an example mp3 if necessary.
    The 8-vel instrument is quite good, and has less rumble than Old Lady; the 12-vel easily overloads the CPU and in fast passages played at the highest velocities has an harsh, mechanical and very unnatural 'toy' sound.
    The manual for the Emperor doesn't explain how to use the 12-vel instrument; instead of it there are some lines pasted from the Old Lady manual, so I don't know how to correctly stack the down, up, and rel instruments.

Overall, very good instruments, I hope that they will get even better in the GS3 version.

Alberto

Hi Alberto,

The samples of OLD LADY and EMPEROR just came back from the no-noise process and all background noises have been removed, including the extra clancky sounds.
    Everybody who received a disk with the noisy samples will automatically get the updated version soon! If you are in doubt you can email us for confirmation.

Stacking the 12 layer instruments is very easy and will be explained in detail in the updated disks. You load the 12 layer up program in midi port 1, the 12 layer down in midi port 2 and the release instrument in midi port 3, all on the same midi channel. Link these midiports and voila. This method loads all the samples so it is rather resource consuming hence the included 8 layer patch.
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

Michiel, Does that mean that I will Have that recent version as you shipped it last night? I really like the sound of the Emperor, and hope I have no complaint's when I get it. Thanks

It takes a little more time to convert them to 16 bit for GS2 and then replace them iin the existing gig files. We're hoping for next week...
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

Hi all, First of all the emperor is truely beautiful and full sounding. I have to agree with al, there some backroung noises, but hey Michiel has taken care of that of course, what a gentleman. I am used to using the Giga piano and when I loaded this Emperor, I was floored. Good going Michiel. I am looking forward to the updates of course. I noticed one other thing and I don't remember which octave it was but the 1 c note seemed to be a little lower in volume than all the other keys. I will have to check it out. Overall this piano is fully balanced in volume per key and pretty darn accurate. Congrates boys at PMI, nice job.

Go Back to forum