• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: I'm kinda curious what type of reaction this cue would get here?

Share/Bookmark

I'm kinda curious what type of reaction this cue would get here?

Well I've recently heard some great cues from Craig, Marteen, etc. (did I spell that right? --- and btw good stuff!!! ) So I'm curious what kind of response this recent cue of mine would get.... as I'm pretty much a hack compared to those guys, although I'm determined to "work" while learning what the hell I'm doing...

Anyway just wonderin'? It's pretty simple.....

HONOR THY FAMILY

KID-

Re: I'm kinda curious what type of reaction this cue would get here?

Hi Kid,

It's simple, yes, but it's definately got some qualities. I like your bass ostinato in the beginning. An idea: why not let it reappear towards the end in a high register, like in the 1st violins or a celeste/glockenspiel?
    As it is now you introduce it, and it just vanishes. A bit vaste of good material, if you ask me (well, you didn't, but I thought I'd say it anyway )

There's some good "live performance like" energy in the strings. I like the way they sound. Is that the GOS squeek-hall-ambience you mixed in?

Keep it up!
    just my two cents,

Very nice.

You're right, there's some great stuff around here; impressive, complex compositions and orchestrations. But, I have to say that I liked listening to this piece more than a lot of the other pieces I've heard lately. Reminded me of some of Thomas Newman's music. Simple definitely doesn't have to be a bad thing.

It sounds really good to me. Could you have been listening to the Shawshank Redemption for inspiration?

I agree, simple is not a bad thing. I saw Thomas Newman (and Danny Elfman) speak today at the DGA - and Thomas's was kind of knocking himself for being 'drony' or not writing with chords. Mr. Elfman countered by saying that he's never seen anyone's music in temp scores as much as Thomas Newman (and I agree). That says he must be doing something right. Just do your thing, whatever that may be......

Thumbs up Re: I'm kinda curious what type of reaction this cue would get here?

Comparisons are a fool's errand. This has legs - you should develop it further. Very nice.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Quote Originally Posted by kid-surf
    Well I've recently heard some great cues from Craig, Marteen, etc. (did I spell that right? --- and btw good stuff!!! ) So I'm curious what kind of response this recent cue of mine would get.... as I'm pretty much a hack compared to those guys, although I'm determined to "work" while learning what the hell I'm doing...

Anyway just wonderin'? It's pretty simple.....

HONOR THY FAMILY

KID-
    Hey Kid, I really like the mood. A piece of advice, don't compare your self with other musicians, as we are all unique in our own ways. Sometimes simple is best and wonderful. You should really continue this piece as is definately has something to offer.

Yes, as everyone has stated, this is a very nice piece. Don't compare yourself to other musicians.

Thanks for listening guys!

An idea: why not let it reappear towards the end in a high register, like in the 1st violins or a celeste/glockenspiel? As it is now you introduce it, and it just vanishes.
    unison- That's a good idea, I'd probably have done that if it was longer...

A bit vaste of good material, if you ask me
    Can you rephrase that, not getting the meaning. Maybe it's the continent difference, or maybe I'm just slow today.

But, I have to say that I liked listening to this piece more than a lot of the other pieces I've heard lately.
    Thanks Hawkes, very nice compliment!

It sounds really good to me. Could you have been listening to the Shawshank Redemption for inspiration?
    Thanks donimon! No, I didn't specifically list to Shawshank before I did this but Thomas Newman does happen to be my favorite composer. I'm sure that will show in my music do some degree, but I tend to believe that the reason we gravitate to certain composers is because we already have some of those same sensibilities as far as emotion. I tend to write darker drony poignant stuff. That's just my general "vibe"....

Wish I would have gone to that DGA event though, sounds interesting.

Thanks Haynes! Actually that's the composition, the whole thing..... I mostly do shorts.

KID-

Oh just saw the other two posts guys...

Yeah I hear you, we are all unique, thank god or music would be way boring. Thanks guys!

Forgot to respond to this:

There's some good "live performance like" energy in the strings. I like the way they sound. Is that the GOS squeek-hall-ambience you mixed in?
    Yes it is the GOS ambiance, but strings are mostly SISS, in case you didn't already figure that out.

KID-

Very nice and "personal" track..., and Sounds very very Good!!,
    Mixing with??

Thx.

D.M

Go Back to forum