• Register
  • Help

Topic: weird problem with GPO Studio and Sibelius 3.1.3

Share/Bookmark

Question weird problem with GPO Studio and Sibelius 3.1.3

Hi there,
    I´ve got a really weird problem with GPO Studio and Sibelius 3.1.3.

I wanted to test GPO with Sibelius using just three instruments: Bass drum, snare and flute.

Settings are:
    bass drum GPO Player 1 channel 1
    snare GPO Player 1 channel 2
    flute GPO Player 1 channel 3

bot are exactly assinged in GPO and Sibelius...but I can only hear the flute if I playback the score.

In Windows Mixer I can hear (using button "test") flute and snare.
    Snare can´t be heared while playing the score.
    Bass drum doesn´t work at all (no sound while playing or even in the windows mixer of Sibelius) even all channels are assigned correctly.

Does anybody know what to do?

Thanks
    marco

Re: weird problem with GPO Studio and Sibelius 3.1.3

I am pretty new to GPO myself, but I also use Sibelius 3.1.3 and have been playing around with the setup. First, there are two issues to check - the fact that GPO uses Mod wheel controller for volume (which Sibelius does not) and the actual mapping of the sounds on the keyboard.

As far as the volume is concerned, when you open GPO Studio the instruments that use mod wheel volume (the non-percussive ones, basically) are set at zero. you have to enter a controller setting at the beginning of each track in your score (type in "Ctrl E" then ~C1,64 to start with. The controller data goes from 0 to 127 so 64 is a medium setting.) You should have your score set up to display hidden controller data so that it shows as a light grey shadow. If you don't whatever controller data you enter will just disappear and you won't be able to tell where it is. You can also go into setup in GPO Studio and select the "ignore mod wheel" option. This sets all instruments at a medium volume but has the drawback of not allowing for real volume control - but it is a good way to at least hear what instruments you've got playing.

The other issue, specifically with the bass drum, is that the sound sounds only when the bottom C of the keyboard is played. You have to set up your bass drum staff to make sure that is the note that you are triggering from you score. If you are using drum clefs or single line staves it can get confusing and you may have to fiddle around with to find out where that bottom C actually is on your drum staff.

Anyway, I hope this helps at least to point you in the direction of solving you problem. Good luck.

Yeah thanks,

I really didn´t reagard the tonal extent of e.g. snare or bass.
    Now, I can play the score, but...it looks awful.
    Is there a better way to notate the bottom C of the bass drum?

Just a few words to volume...I don´t use my midi keyboard at all in Sibelius (1. Have no mod wheel 2. Just started learning piano (electric guitar player )

And I got my GPO and Sibelius just a couple of days ago.

I control volume via the windows mixer and GPO studio, is that o.k. as well?

Thanks again.

I don't really do much (if any) percussion scoring myself, but I think there is a way you can re-assign what notes are actually playing on the percussion staves. Sibelius defaults to a GM drum setup but I think if you look in the manual there will be some way you can change the default drum map to suit your instrument. Maybe someone else has some pointers on this? That way your score won't have those hanging notes with hundreds of ledger lines!

You can use the volume control on the GPO player itself to set initial volumes for percussive instruments (percussion, piano, harp) but the subtleties of volume for these instruments are controlled by velocity data (how hard of soft you hit the keys). All other instruments (brass, strings, organ, woodwinds) are controlled by mod wheel. If you these instruments to sound you should set up your GPO Studio to ignore mod wheel data (Settings / Mode / Ignore mod wheel). This will set up these instruments at a medium dynamic. You will have no real control over dynamics for these instruments in your score as Sibelius' dynamic instructions are based on GM synth standards and use velocity data only. Perhaps if enough of us are using GPO with Sibelius there will be an initiative to allow for better integration of the two in later versions

thanks again
    I´ll try to use the midi commands of sibelius in the future (I am really a newbie to this subject) but it´ll take a long time to get through a manual with 560 pages

Do you compose your music in real time with a keyboard?
    I just type notes and play it with GPO

marco

Quote Originally Posted by monsterbox
    thanks again

Do you compose your music in real time with a keyboard?
    I just type notes and play it with GPO
    This depends on the individual project. Sometimes I just need a quick sketch for musicians to get an idea of the overall piece. I usually don't like to dictate too much to the musicians as I find that wonderful things can happen with one's music if they just trust the players (horrible things can happen too - but hopefully, you're not too far away to step in!)

Other times I get projects where singers or soloists want a recording that they can actually perform to. These are usually piano based (as that is my main instrument). Here is where more MIDI control really comes in handy. It's more tedious but it allows you to get amazing results and create pieces that you would otherwise never be able to have performed live.

Go Back to forum