• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "Transitions - Orchestral Fantasy 2004-1"

Share/Bookmark

Smile "Transitions - Orchestral Fantasy 2004-1"

Hi, all. At last, the (probably) definitive "final" version of this piece, which some of you may have previewed before.

After being away from my music-making gear for almost 3 weeks (on a short 'vacation' to friends and family in central coast California) I returned determined to complete this short orchetral fantasy which I had started in late March. It is perhaps my most ambitious "show-off" piece of GPO and GOS/Lite (and the only non-Garritan element is the Wizoo Platinum Grand 24 piano). My main objective with this "orchestral etude" was to show off as many orchestral colors as I could in various combinations (some traditional, some not) in the under 5-minute span of the work.

The piece should be at the top of the list on this page:

http://www.kevintweedy.net/Preview/MusicPreview.htm

and there is a description of the various sections of the 4 minute 50 second work there as well for those who want to following the "design" along with the hearing.

Comments, suggestions, brickbats and other objects gratefully accepted!

Cheers -- Kev

Re: "Transitions - Orchestral Fantasy 2004-1"

The pipe organ really grabs me. I keep forgetting that thing is in GPO! Anyway this was fun to listen to. One thing , and this is only my opinion, is I found(for instance) the muted trumpet to be a bit static(in volume). Maybe you can put a little more mod data on it? Other then that I enjoyed this. Thank you for sharing
    Nicole Davis

A nice "demo" of the orchestra sounds. I really like how the organ comes back in behind the piano - I think that is a very effective way to reintroduce it. I think you did a nice job with your "transitions", that is you have a whole bunch of little compositions fused into one and yet it doesn't sound like a mish-mash, it sounds like a unified whole.
    Trent P. McDonald

Kevin,

Very nice job. I enjoy all the transitions and different feelings in the piece.

I did notice some problems with the trumpet attacks in the muted trumpet part. A few of them seem a little off.

-- Martin
    http://www.starbirthmusic.com

Hi Kevin,

I listened to this piece 3 times and I liked it more each time. I like the different orchestral flavors embodied within the piece and the overall style.

Very convincing timpani work at the beginning and the organ sounds grand (I'll have to try that GPO organ).

There were 2 places where I thought the strings jumped in a bit abruptly (in volume); at :44 and even moreso at 1:00, maybe what I'm hearing is discontinuous mod wheel data under a sustained note.

This is personal taste but I would've liked a touch more space between the transitions at :37 and at 1:16.

I like what's happening harmonically with the section beginning at 2:43 (kind of Elfmanish), very dramatic. Nice smooth transition at 3:33, from here to the end is my favorite part of the whole piece, this part has the most emotional punch.

Looper

Kevin,

Quite an undertaking! Very elabrate music and nice transitions into the various themes - going from grand organ entrance to pastoral to a chase then tying it together and a nice conclusion. Excellent instrumentation, arranging and orchestration. Noticed a little bit of a volume bump at 1:00 and 2:16 which could have been an mp3 conversion or mod wheel glitch.
    I enjoyed hearing how this piece progressed from your earlier versions. Thanks for posting this. Bravo! Bravo!

Gary Garritan

PS I also enjoyed some of your other works - especially "The Green and Gold Hills of Cork, Ireland"

Smile Re: "Transitions - Orchestral Fantasy 2004-1"

I had meant to run down the complete list of instruments used and here they are:

In GOS/Lite:

Full Strings Sordino Lite, Full Strings Pizz Lite, Full Strings Marcato Lite, Full Strings Warm SusV EXP Lite.

In GPO:

Full Organ, Organ Scharf IV, English Horn 1 Solo, Bassoon 2 Solo, Trumpet Solo Straight Mute, French Horn 2 Solo, French Horn 2 Ens, Snares, Timpani EX, Basic Orchestral Percussion, Basses tremelo, Cellos tremelo, Bass Drum, Celesta, Tenor Trombone Ens2.

The only other instrument is the Wazoo Platinum Grand 24 piano (still my favorite piano for the memory “weight”). GOS and the piano are coming into Cubase SX 2 through HALion and the GPO instruments through the standard Kontakt player included with GPO. (A total of 18 channels in Cubase with 131 meg remaining of my 1 gig RAM!)

ON GLITCHES, etc.: [1] The volume discontinuities that you (and others) noted, Gary (at 1:00 and about 2:17) were caused by my attempting to attenuate the strings using a Cubase SX “write” of the volume (and being unable to find the “wave line of those volume changes to correct the errors). The glitches were caused by doing the “fine tuning” more than once and (quite apparently) I need more training in this aspect of Cubase (read/write volume on tracks). [2] I agree with the somewhat inflexible level of the muted trumpet (thanks, Nicole!) as well as the errors in the attack timing (thanks, mschiff!).

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU who took the time to listen to this version! I will be doing one final “cleanup” on this piece before putting it to bed for now and will provide a link to that version – probably about the time I’m asking you to check out the NEXT piece! I couldn’t do it without you, Mr. G!

Wow, Kevin. What an impressive piece! Really moody and introspective. I really like the orchestration. That organ sounds great. Very nice work!

Smile FINAL version!

The “final” version of this piece is now published (on AcidPlanet, Ampcast.com and Broadjam.com) and an updated version is also here: http://www.kevintweedy.net/Preview/MusicPreview.htm .

In the process of fixing the two major mix elements and the muted trumpet flubs (that player was fired and replaced with version 1.1!), I decided also to add a little “punctuation” at the very end in the form of an additional Tuba part and an additional line for the French Horn ensemble. And the timpani player couldn’t resist being the final punctuation.

Many thanks for all of the input from GPO forum folk on this piece! (Feel free to put the MP3 on the GPO demos page, Mr. G!)

Kev

hi kevin,

the second part, with the piano, reminds me of danny elfman's beetlejuice film score, for tim burton.
    have you seen it ?

last question, how long did it take you to perform this piece ?

thanks
    Alex (from France)

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast