• Register
  • Help

Topic: Putting VIBRATO on a GPO instrument?

Share/Bookmark

Question Putting VIBRATO on a GPO instrument?

Hi,
    This is my first post here so let me say what I'm operating with. I record my music using Sonar Producer Edition on my PC. My soundcard is a M-Audio Delta 66 & that's currently all. Now my question, I have been trying to figure out how I can apply vibrato to a GPO instrument like, Solo Trumpet. I first tried to do it in the Kontak player but, there seem to be no option for it. Then I decided to record a little of the trumpet, then open it up in my, "Piano Roll View", in Sonar. In piano roll view there is a control option that usually allows me many control abilities, that I can apply to a recorded instrument. So I recorded the GPO Solo trumpet and opened that recording in the piano roll view, but when I selected," Control",I was given no option to do anything. In contrast, when I do the same thing for my midi instruments I am given many options under the Control menu like: volume, modulation, port., sustain, etc... With the GPO trumpet in the piano roll view I only see, CC:1, CC:2, CC:3, and so on, under the control menu. As far as using the midi controler on my keyboard, I usually use the mod. wheel to apply vibrato. However we know the GPO uses that wheel for volume purposes. I guess I'm just stuck right now as to what I should try next. Any suggestions out there from some Sonar guy's who also have GPO ?...Thanks

Re: Putting VIBRATO on a GPO instrument?

spiedsden,

There is no option currently to control LFO vibrato on a trumpet. We originally tried LFO vibrato and it sounded unnatural. So much so that we decided not to have it as an option. This type of vibrato is artificial and much improvement is needed in this area. Crossfading between vibrato and non-vibrato samples is another approach but causes phasing problems with solo instruments. We are currently working on some solutions

In the meantime try JSVibrato - a VST vibrato plugin that's free from http://membres.lycos.fr/jeje1999/plug.htm (scroll down to JS Vibrato). There's a vibrato dx plugin that comes with with SoundForge (and works with Sonar) and I'll look for others.

Hope this helps,

Gary Garritan

Re: Putting VIBRATO on a GPO instrument?

Hey thanks for the info. I thought what you told me might be the case, but it's good to know for sure now. By the the way the," Vibrato Solutions ",you mention working on, would you possible want it as a downloadable upgrade to GPO? Anyway thanks again, And I'll look into VST & Dx plugins you describe.
    -Spiesden
    Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    spiedsden,

There is no option currently to control LFO vibrato on a trumpet. We originally tried LFO vibrato and it sounded unnatural. So much so that we decided not to have it as an option. This type of vibrato is artificial and much improvement is needed in this area. Crossfading between vibrato and non-vibrato samples is another approach but causes phasing problems with solo instruments. We are currently working on some solutions

In the meantime try JSVibrato - a VST vibrato plugin that's free from http://membres.lycos.fr/jeje1999/plug.htm (scroll down to JS Vibrato). There's a vibrato dx plugin that comes with with SoundForge (and works with Sonar) and I'll look for others.

Hope this helps,

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum