• Register
  • Help

Topic: New to GPO..one prob...no velocity...

Share/Bookmark

New to GPO..one prob...no velocity...

Hi

Yes I'm happy with my GPO but... am in a fog regarding velocity.

For example the Pizz Cellos have it but the french horn does not.
    The guide booklet shows that it does indeed have it.

Does the Kontakt player pulldown menu mean anything? I see the selections for velocity , aftertouch etc, and the slider to the right. Choosing any of those and moving the slider has no effect.
    Can anyone help here ?

JAK

Re: New to GPO..one prob...no velocity...

The slider is inactive currently, but will be used in upcoming updates.

The velocity in GPO does not control the volume of the instrument, as will in a lot of library, rather it changes the attack of the note, the lower velocity the shofter (and longer) the attack, the high the velocity, the more aggressive the attack. For volume and exp. use the mod wheel instead. This is the proper controller.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lastufka
    The slider is inactive currently, but will be used in upcoming updates.

The velocity in GPO does not control the volume of the instrument, as will in a lot of library, rather it changes the attack of the note, the lower velocity the shofter (and longer) the attack, the high the velocity, the more aggressive the attack. For volume and exp. use the mod wheel instead. This is the proper controller.

Thanks very much for explaining Alan. It's perfectly clear now and I did note that Gary mentions in the manual not to try and use velocity as volume.
    I also own the GOS strings and find it incredibly effective to use the velocity with the layers so this is just an adjustment the other way.

I have a controller with aftertouch and am used to that and do wish I could use that with the GPO but I'm sure the mod wheel is the best choice for many.

Having said this ( wishful thinking re aftertouch ) I will add to others sentiments how much I appreciate the great achievement that the GPO really is for ease of use and orchestral mockups for busy composers.
    A lifesaver for me !!

No problem.

I hope you enjoy GPO... welcome to da family!
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Quote Originally Posted by JAK
    Hi

Yes I'm happy with my GPO but... am in a fog regarding velocity.

For example the Pizz Cellos have it but the french horn does not.
    The guide booklet shows that it does indeed have it.
    Hi JAK,

I'm usually in a fog too. The velocity fog is easy to clear. Percussive instruments such as pizz, piano, drums, etc use velocity for volume. Sustain instruments such as strings, woodwinds and brass use the mod wheel as a continuous controller for volume (and velocity for attack). It's a fairly straightforward system and once you get the hand of it, I think you'll enjoy this system.

Let us know if we can help in any other way. Welcome to the GPO community.

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum