• Register
  • Help

Topic: thanks for the Malmsjo

Share/Bookmark

thanks for the Malmsjo

I finally have a piano. What a deal.

Its not featured here, but did I mix it in OK? Not really sure where it should sit in the mix. I used the Malmsjo Rock Grand with ESX24.

LaidBack

Re: thanks for the Malmsjo

Hey Ron,
    That sounds fantastic! How bout some details. Who's playing what, how it was recorded, etc.
    I'm lovin my new Malmsjo as well.

Arrow Re: thanks for the Malmsjo

Tons of "kuh-RACK" in that snare! I'd look to back it into the rest of the kit.

I love the tune and think it achieves a nice balance between some of the smarter Pat Methaney work and Santana's "music to get lucky by".

The Malmsjo holds up really well, even in a backing part. I'm working on a dark orchestral cue that's inspired by my wife's writing - but I may work some of the Malmsjo into my jazz work, now that I hear where you've taken things. What I thought of as the sole province of Scarbee might need to make some room for the Hans' creation. Thanks for the inspiration and keep up the good work.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Re: thanks for the Malmsjo

I thought my thread would die without any response. Thanks for listening.

NedK, that's all me. Strat on background, Les Paul Jr. on lead through POD. Then Trilogy with a fretless bass. That's what inspired the song. I put in the bass (inspired by 70s or 80s Jaco/lead bass) then piano, always guitar last. The chords just come out by ear mostly then I have to figure out the chords for guitar.

I'm learning and trying to figure out how to translate my music into work.

Houston, thank you for the feedback on the snare. I LOVE tough critique so I can learn. After you mention it, that's all I can hear. Its the NS "Big Kit". I think I'm overusing the rim shot.

I like compliments but critiques (even on subtleties) are greatly appreciated.

On the Malmsjo; I now know what people mean when they say, "character". It does have character and I think may lend to the "reality" factor that my piano work so needs. I don't play so I have to put in the notes in the piano roll.

Thumbs up Re: thanks for the Malmsjo

Quote Originally Posted by rJames
    I thought my thread would die without any response. Thanks for listening.

NedK, that's all me. Strat on background, Les Paul Jr. on lead through POD. Then Trilogy with a fretless bass. That's what inspired the song. I put in the bass (inspired by 70s or 80s Jaco/lead bass) then piano, always guitar last. The chords just come out by ear mostly then I have to figure out the chords for guitar.

I'm learning and trying to figure out how to translate my music into work.

Houston, thank you for the feedback on the snare. I LOVE tough critique so I can learn. After you mention it, that's all I can hear. Its the NS "Big Kit". I think I'm overusing the rim shot.

I like compliments but critiques (even on subtleties) are greatly appreciated.

On the Malmsjo; I now know what people mean when they say, "character". It does have character and I think may lend to the "reality" factor that my piano work so needs. I don't play so I have to put in the notes in the piano roll.
    If that's the way you put it together, than it is even more impressive. It certainly has a "loose in the pocket" feel - something that is usually heard with a recording session pulling in several of the parts at once, or a group that's been playing together for a long time, laying down one track at a time but still "knowing" what the other will play on later takes. It's pretty rare to hear something like this from a one-man job. Nicely done, indeed.

I only come in and cruise the threads when I have time, but I took the past few days to reorganize my studio and would come to NS for a break every once in a while. I'm not surprised that you didn't get much feedback here, as most folks in this forum are only equipped to respond to certain categories of music. But if we bring more of this stuff to the table, it might bring in some new blood and broaden the discussion a bit, and would be refreshing.

If you ever get to look at a chart from Chick Corea, you'll often only see the chords layed out except for where he's looking for a specific lead or unison line. It's very sparse and always has a highly improved look about it - the best fusion is like a good peanut butter and jelly sandwich - only enough bread to hold the damned thing together. Your tune has that kind of feel - which is a compliment, I assure you.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Go Back to forum