• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A little proud family history...

Share/Bookmark

A little proud family history...

If you can see the picture of the 18 year old holding the banjo, that is my grandfather who came from Sicily after the war. The banjo is still in the family and was hand made in Italy by a luthier made it for him special. Grandpa had a bakery on the West side of Buffalo that was pretty prominent until the advent of supermarkets. One of my uncles still has the banjo. You can't make it out but the back is made of birdseye maple and is hand rubbed oil varnish. The lugs are 14 Krt gold plate, ebony finger board with plenty of pearl inlays. This is as much as I can remember from the last it was shown.
    I can remember watching my grandfather and his friends playing together on Sunday evenings at the bakery.
    Just wanted to share that with you. Hope you don't mind or think I am really wierd or too open or crazy 'cause there really isn't nothing wrong with me...click...wrong with me...click...wrong with me...SLAP!
    Styxx

Talking Re: A little proud family history...

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    If you can see the picture of the 18 year old holding the banjo, that is my grandfather who came from Sicily after the war. The banjo is still in the family and was hand made in Italy by a luthier made it for him special. Grandpa had a bakery on the West side of Buffalo that was pretty prominent until the advent of supermarkets. One of my uncles still has the banjo. You can't make it out but the back is made of birdseye maple and is hand rubbed oil varnish. The lugs are 14 Krt gold plate, ebony finger board with plenty of pearl inlays. This is as much as I can remember from the last it was shown.
    I can remember watching my grandfather and his friends playing together on Sunday evenings at the bakery.
    Just wanted to share that with you. Hope you don't mind or think I am really wierd or too open or crazy 'cause there really isn't nothing wrong with me...click...wrong with me...click...wrong with me...SLAP!
    Wanting to PLAY a banjo is crazy.

Re: A little proud family history...

Great story and great picture. My wife's grandfather also played the banjo. No pictures though. It must have been a generational thing. Or may it was because banjos are so sturdy and can travel without being damaged easily. Thanks for sharing your story with us.

Gary

Just wanted to share that with you. Hope you don't mind or think I am really wierd or too open or crazy

Hey Styxx, I agree with Gary too. If it's sentimental and has a good story to it .... share it

Well, I try to play sarod (or I did, till neck surgery screwed up my hands) and you can think of that as a fretless banjo with sympathetic strings. I actually used a 5-string fretless banjo as a substitute until I could afford the $1200 for a decent sarod.

What I can't understand - banjo has very little sustain power, even with frets. Saord players can get a relatively long sustained tone, even when sliding around on the string, and they have no frets; Ali Akbar Khan, my former teacher, used to insist that we play with the pad of the finger, not the nail, and still get a clear tone. (BTW-he could do that, we all used our fingernails; one student with exceptionally soft nails even had a custom set of nail-covers made from fiberglas-quite funny when he did a pull-off, the nails clicked loudly.)

Bottom line - any instrument can make marvelous music, it all depends on the player. (Except accordion. And no accordion-bashing or supporting thread hijacking, please. This is just one man's opinion - and a few million others!)
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

"Wanting to PLAY a banjo is crazy."
    What about Bela Fleck and The Flecktones?
    Styxx

Hey wait a minute! My home PC shows the pic of grandpa and my laptop at work shows the old pic of the two apes sitting at my studio PC. Why is this?
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Hey wait a minute! My home PC shows the pic of grandpa and my laptop at work shows the old pic of the two apes sitting at my studio PC. Why is this?
    Refresh button!

Quote Originally Posted by G Rudolph
    Refresh button!
    Yes, I did that's why I am asking. Maybe it need some time at the server.

Thanks
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen
    Dasher,

I've been diagnosed with degenerative disc disease, meaning some discs in my neck are compressing a nerve that goes into my right shoulder, causing numbness and tingling down my right arm to my hand.

You mentioned surgery, which I'm contemplating. Any alternatives?

Thanks,

Ernstinen
    I had the same problem , I have been going to a chiropractor 3 days a week for several months ,no more problems!!!

Go Back to forum