• Register
  • Help

Topic: new flute piece

Share/Bookmark

new flute piece

Hey all,

I just finished a solo flute piece for one of my theory students. Thought you might like to hear. File is ~2.5MB. It's called Dorian Blossom.

All types of comments are welcome. It was done in Sibelius 2.11 with GPO solo Flute w/ Vibrato. Sometimes you can't hear the grace notes. If anyone has some tips on fixing that I'd appreciate it.

http://users.adelphia.net/~chads/mus...an_Blossom.mp3

Cheers,
    Chad

Thumbs up Re: new flute piece

Wow, nice work sound live.
    First let me get this straight and forgive me I am still quite new at all of this software. Sibelius is a notational software and sequencer?
    Well, this is certainly a class A flute solo. I was very impressed how you accomplished such articulations in the faster passages. These are written in a score first then played back or did you play them in as is?
    I'll end with a wow. Some really nice music coming out of this forum's members.
    Styxx

Re: new flute piece

Thanks for the kind words Sal. Sibleius is just notation software - no sequencer. I'm a real hack on piano so, none of it is played in (bass players! sheeesh). It's all straight from Sibelius using the plug-in's for legato and cresc./dim. Reverb was Recital Hall 1 in stock form with just tweaks to the wet/dry mix. Now, if I could just get somebody to make an accurate MIDI tracking device for electric bass...

-Chad

Cool piece, CString. Regarding grace notes: if Sibelius is like Finale, the default note durations are at 100%. Sometimes, when the notes are all at 100% total duration, some may not sound. When this happens, I lessen the duration of the note before it to 95%. Hope that helps.

Another thing that I do to the solo winds is increase the polyphony to 2. It helps make the legato lines like buttah...

On an unrelated note, several times, 0:30, 0:34, 0:47, 1:35 et al, I can't tell if it is a tick in the sample or the sound of the flute keys...in the right speaker. Or I could be losing it.

Hi CString, The piece is great. It has a wonderful lilt to it, and as Styxx said, your articulations are very realistic. I wonder if you have tried this out with a real flute player? I tried to imagine myself playing this on a flute, and I felt that I might run out of breath during some parts about the middle of the piece. It might be possible to shorten up some of the notes a little to give some breathing room.

I have in mind doing a little flute and guitar duet with the GPO flute. I thought that when the player has to breathe, that I would record a few quick breaths and insert them in appropriate places. Not sure it will work, but I think it will be fun trying, and who knows, we might just fool everyone, that GPO flute player and I.

Anyhow it was quite delightful. IÕve been writing everything down in the original pieces IÕve done, and then sequenced them. This is good enough to make me consider buying Sibelius.

Thanks for posting this,

Karl

jmc,

I tweaked the duration values in Sibelius (there is one value for slur and one for non-slur). It worked for some and not others. Strange. I haven't messed with the polyphony yet but I'll give it a try. Thanks for the tips!!!

Karl,

I'll hear it on a real flute tomorrow. I gave it to my student this morning. You will definitely run out of breath all over the place. I left out the breath marks since a good flute player will do it with taste - just like a good singer would. I would just make a mess of it anyway. It's no worse than some of the Bach arrangements I've seen for flute. Seems like you end up with the player taking a little liberty with rhythm sometimes to get a good breath. Comes with the game I guess.

I do usually leave a bit of breath space at the end of a held note for reality's sake, though.

I'm working on the next piece in the set right now. It only takes me 3-4 hours to create most of these. I'll probably post the next, "Overtone of Spring," a little later today - uses the overtone scale.

Very nice. I haven't played with the solo flute in GPO yet, but this sounds very realistic. A lot of this, particularly the first theme, makes me think a lot about jazz.

Go Back to forum