• Register
  • Help

Topic: Switching Instruments

Share/Bookmark

Switching Instruments

Background: I'm a GPO Newbie (just got mine a couple of days ago, and loving it!) In this case, I'm using GPO Studio with Finale 2004.

I have a "front row" cornet staff that starts with a solo cornet on the first phrase, adds a second player in unison on the second phrase, and the whole row in unison on the third phrase. I'm using a solo trumpet for the first phrase, and I've built two seperate ensembles that play the second and third phrases VERY realistically. If these were 3 different instruments in a GM module, I could embed patch changes that would allow me to switch between the three sounds on the same staff. Is there any way to do something similar with GPO? The only way I've found so far is to do this as three seperate staves, not very print friendly.

Suggestions?

D.
    "He heals the brokenhearted and bandages their wounds"
    --Psalm 147:3

Re: Switching Instruments

If you're going to be using Finale as your sequencer, I'd recommend having 2 Finale scores. One for printing, and one laid out for playback.

Good Luck,
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner
    If you're going to be using Finale as your sequencer, I'd recommend having 2 Finale scores. One for printing, and one laid out for playback.
    Point taken. Finale isn't a sequencer -- well, OK, maybe it's a really lightweight sequencer. The sequencing isn't it's meat-n-potatoes work -- it's a notation program that does a little MIDI on the side so you can hear what you're notating.

Which is exactly what I want to do. I can get the "approximate idea" out of playing the whole cornet line with the same instrument, and if that's the only alternative to making several staves for the front row, that's what I'll do. If I decide I want t really detailed representation, then I'll either dump it out to a sequencer or, as you suggest, make a second copy with the necessary extra staves. Or, I might do both.

Alas, I've not found a program that "does it all" well. I suspect that I doesn't exist, and if it does I probably can't afford it.

Thanks for your input, Jeff. I appreciate it.

D.

You can do it fairly easily in Finale. What you're doing is very similar to when I change organ registrations. You're GPO instance should be setup with your solo trumpet set to one midi channel, your 1st tpt ensemble all set to another midi channel and your 2nd tpt ensemble all set to a 3rd midi channel.

Then, in Finale create text expressions for each (Solo Tpt, Tpt Ens 1, Tpt Ens 2, for example). When you create a text expression in Finale, you can designate that it change to a specific midi channel, so set these three text expressions to the midi channels you chose above. Then simply insert the text expressions in your Finale Score where you want the changes to take place.

All this info. is courtesy of our friend Adam Burford.

Ahhh... I see. Another one of those features that Finale's manual and tutorials don't discuss much.

I'll give it a try.

D.

Go Back to forum