• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Gigastudio and new Delta drivers problem

Share/Bookmark

Gigastudio and new Delta drivers problem

I'm having a problem and I wonder if anyone has seen this with the new .42 Delta drivers.

I use Sonar 3.1.1 SE, GS96, and an Audiophile2496.

First I open up Gigastudio, then open Sonar thru GS. Load a gig instrument and record some midi into Sonar. Playback is fine. BUT if I have an audio track playing either a DXi or an audio clip along with the gig instrument midi, I lose the gig sound.

In other words:

Only midi tracks>I hear gig instrument
    At least 1 audio track in use>I do not hear gig instrument

This only started happening with the new .42 drivers. If I roll back to the .36 or .27 drivers, the problem goes away.

I want to use the new drivers because they solved some audio artifacts problems I had, or else I would just stick with the .27 drivers.

Any ideas?

I've emailed M-Audio Techsupport.

Thanks

Bob

Re: Gigastudio and new Delta drivers problem

Bob, I've noticed that the .42 delta installation includes a Microsoft hotfix for some DVD related issue. Don't remember the patch number offhand. Anyway, the patch is an update to an OS driver called "portcl.sys". I wonder if that's causing a problem. Folks over on the SONAR forum have had all sorts of issues with those drivers. Note: the portcl.sys fix was installed even though I *DIDN'T* check off the CD/DVD update options during install.

Actually, just dug up an old post on this... You can try keeping the .42 drivers, and uninstalling the MS patch. Go to C:\windows\$NtUninstallQ813347$\spuninst and double-click the .bat file.

Word has it that the .46 drivers (not released yet) solved problems for SONAR users, so you might want to just wait for those.

- Keith

I am also interested in this. I have Delta 1010LT and recently updated my drivers to .42. So far there have been no problems similar to yours, except that Maple MIDI Tools is no longer running. Tried reverting to .27 to no avail so I don't know if it was the Delta driver that caused this.

I am in contact with Jeff Hurcalla of Marble Sounds and he is helping me find the culprit. Man, he is so accomodating helping me out on a Sunday afternoon!

So if any updates come along, please post them. Thanks!

Nhick, uninstalling the .42 Delta driver *probably* didn't uninstall the MS patch. WIndows handles rolling back patches, not vendor installshield scripts (as far as I know). Try uninstalling the patch if you still have MIDI problems after rollback.

Thanks guys for the feedback.

I did what you suggested, Keith, and ran that batch file. Rebooted my computer and tried GS again.

But I still have the same problem.

I just noticed that if I archive the audio track, I can hear the gig instrument.
    It's like Gigastudio doesn't wanna play nice with any audio tracks. It wants to hog the playback spotlight. I don't get it. Never had this problem before.

Also one last observation. If I'm playing back an active audio track along with the gig midi track (which I don't hear), as soon as I hit the stop button, I hear a quick sound of the gig instrument; that last note it was on at the stopping point. Strange.

Yeah, I'll definitely try the new .46 drivers when they come out. Just hope I don't back myself into a hole that I can't get out of without reformatting the harddrive. Sounds like you, Nhick, are having a hard time untangling your system from M-Audio driver bugs. Wish you luck.

Bob

I guess the problem is that Gigastudio or Sonar don't share the audiodriver anymore. Seems to be pretty clear ... unfortunately I don't have any solution, but I will not update my drivers then

Malte

Angry Re: Gigastudio and new Delta drivers problem

I'm having same exact problem!! ARg!!! I tired to restore my system to before installing the drivers and XP won't let me. ARg!! I then uninstalled the new drivers and reinstalled older drivers. Now I can hear the instruments but Sonar doesn't seem to be able to record the sound now. Arg!!!

Arggggg!!!!

--Jay

Ok, I'm back to where I started. I uninstalled new drivers. Reinstalled .36 drivers. Then I had to readjust mixer input wavout 1/2 port volume controls back to 0 dB (they had been set to -144 dB) and patchbay router back to monitor mixer. Working again. Yay!

Still don't why new drivers don't work. Seems like a pretty obvious problem!!

--Jay

In case anyone's interested in an update on this problem, I finally got a response from M-Audio.

"Hello, as we don't manufacture or support Gigastudio, I won't really be able to help you with that application. If it was working with the previous driver, I suggest that you un-install the 42 driver and go back to the 36 driver."

In my email I forgot to mention that the new .42 driver solved audio artifacts I had with previous drivers. Otherwise I would have done this without needing to bug tech support.

Actually I have rolled back my driver to .36. The artifacts are seldom so I'm able to manage OK.

The thing is that it is clear that the new .42 driver is at fault, since previous versions worked fine. I would have liked a more penetrating analysis of this anomaly than just saying, or at least implying, it's Gigastudio's fault. WHAT did you guys change in the update that so fundamentally changed the way the card interfaces with audio sofware, GS in this particular case?

Alas, with some tech support, successfully troubleshooting a problem is like rolling the dice.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wolski
    In case anyone's interested in an update on this problem, I finally got a response from M-Audio.

"Hello, as we don't manufacture or support Gigastudio, I won't really be able to help you with that application. If it was working with the previous driver, I suggest that you un-install the 42 driver and go back to the 36 driver."
    Puh-leeeease. I don't think I have to quote this, BUT from m-audio's own "details" tab on the 2496 product sheet:

ASIO 2
    MME
    Sound Manager
    OMS
    DirectX
    GSIF
    Mac OS X Core Audio / Core MIDI
    So, do they support GSIF or not? Did they *test* their latest driver with Gigastudio. With a vanilla setup like your's Bob I just can't see how a proper level of QA could miss it. I can see it now:

Low-Level QA Peon: "Gee, boss, SONAR's pretty popular, and Gigastudio is still widely used, maybe we should test that combo..."

High-Level Decision Maker: "Gigastudio? Do people still use that old dinosaur? We need those DVD fixes, now move, move, MOVE!!"

Seriously, people over on the SONAR board had all sorts of nastiness -- blue screens, you name it. Then one member supposedly got his hands on the .46 driver, and he was happy to report no more problems. Well, wait a minute, here! Who's running this asylum? It's obviously the patients.

"I suggest that you un-install the 42 driver and go back to the 36 driver."

Screw them. Sorry to hear of your troubles, Bob. I don't make my living off of Gigastudio/SONAR/Cubase/Nuendo/Kontakt/blah/blah/blah, and I don't know how you guys manage to.

- Keith

Go Back to forum