• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO in Symphony Hall

Share/Bookmark

GPO in Symphony Hall

My first GPO piece will be played at Rosalyn Carter's Celebration of Caregivers in Atlanta Symphony Hall on June 15! This is a $100 a ticket affair to celebrate under-appreciated caregivers like nursing aides, home caregivers etc. My wife Susan is a hospice nurse who certainly qualifies, and when a neighbor told me about this event I immediately started hearing the theme music in my head.

I want to thank William West, who spent three hours with me producing the final version in Sonar and also hosting it on his web site. Being a novice to the world of electronic music, I needed a "caregiver" myself, and William was wonderfully patient and supportive. Another example of how the only thing better than GPO is the people who use it!

www.williamwest.org/accets/Those_Who_Care.mp3

Re: GPO in Symphony Hall

Congratulations! Was a pleasure listening to this Though I have no personal aspirations to move beyond my book shelf of paper and piano, I think its really neat you get to have this done. Once again neat piece and Im sure youll find it so much different live!
    Nicole Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole
    ....Once again neat piece and Im sure youll find it so much different live!
    Is it live or is it GPO? This theme music will be played over the sound system at Atlanta Symphony Hall, so folks will hear the GPO, not the ASO )

To give you an idea how convincing GPO is, even under the worst conditions, my first attempt at recording this was with an ancient boombox from the computer speakers. The tape sounded terrible, so I then figured out how to make a CD with the bundled Cubasis--no reverb at all, but infinitely better.

My neighbor took it to play for the event's Board, and he reported that they loved it and adopted it at the first hearing. Suddenly realizing, to my horror, that the first tape was still in the boombox along with the CD, I asked him which button he had pushed to play it. He proudly pointed to the tape button!

[QUOTE=danveach]Is it live or is it GPO? This theme music will be played over the sound system at Atlanta Symphony Hall, so folks will hear the GPO, not the ASO )

Ack im sorry, I misread. I thought it was going to be live. This is what happens when you stay in the sun all day with a bunch of kids the day before then dont go to sleep till 3 am Its frying my brain
    Nicole Davis

Dan,

The Celebration is less the five days away! I marked my calendar for June 15. It must be exciting and it is great for you to be involved with such a worthy cause.

Many of us will be with you in spirit. William West certainly does qualify as a caregiver. His generous and creative spirit is an inspiration to us all.

"Those Who Care" is a beautiful and heartfelt. If you want to send the Sonar file for final polishing, and if there is time, we would be happy to help. Usually I would have advised to add some reverb, but because it is being played back in a concert hall then the hall will impart its own reverb. I hope the event is recorded.

Thank you for sharing this. I wish you, your wife and the Celebration of Caregivers a wonderful and successful event in Atlanta.

Gary Garritan

Bump.......

My neighbor took it to play for the event's Board, and he reported that they loved it and adopted it at the first hearing. Suddenly realizing, to my horror, that the first tape was still in the boombox along with the CD, I asked him which button he had pushed to play it. He proudly pointed to the tape button!
    I'm not at all surprised by this! Although we strive for excellence, often the average person, and non musicians don't hear what we hear!

For years I used a crappy Roland sound module to create accompaniments for a choir I work with. Recently I used one of the amazing mega pianos (GigaStudio) to create the accompaniment, and it sounded a 1,000 percent better.

Could the choir tell the difference? You guessed it! Nope! They had no clue, and BTW, this is a good choir, although all amateurs.

Lawrence
    Melodialworks Music
    Music for Relaxation and Inspiration
    www.lawrencelougheed.com

Good luck tonight! I hope it goes well. Give us a report.
    Trent P. McDonald

Well, it was a great night in Symphony Hall. There was a full house, Rosalynn and Jimmy Carter were there, and Clay Aiken sang--the music was really first class. "For Those Who Care" was last on the program, and everyone thought it was a very effective ending for the event. This was the Rosalynn Carter Institute's inaugural celebration, and afterwards the executive director asked if they could use the music at their future events! (I'll ask them to credit GPO, of course.)

The piece sounded very good, even from the second balcony. I wasn't at the sound check, so I found myself wishing we had used a dryer version, there was so much reverb from the hall itself. The strings, brass and oboe were fine. The flute was on the verge of losing definition, and the clarinet was a bit over the brink. But of course nobody else would have noticed this. The producer (who used to be Miles Davis's sound man!) thought it was just fine.

All in all, it was rather miraculous that this could be happening, since I knew absolutely zero about electronic music when I ordered GPO last fall. Thanks again to William West for his invaluable assistance. And thanks of course to Gary and the GPO team for making it all possible!

The link to the piece is a few posts back, so here it is again:

http://www.williamwest.org/accets/Those_Who_Care.mp3

Go Back to forum