• Register
  • Help

Topic: drum advice needed

Share/Bookmark

drum advice needed

I'm new to the samples world and want to start out with a bang. I currently use my Roland TD-10 / V-drum kit to input through midi and compose using Cubase 5 on my 9600 Power Mac. I'm currently working on buying a G5 system running Logic 6 Pro and would like to use samples instead of the stock TD-10 sounds. What would you guys recommend? I'm looking for basically a better sounding TD-10: Cymbals, toms, snare, kick, maybe some percussion or cool strange effect stuff, but the main focus is good quality drum kit sounds (no loops). Any ideas?

Also, is it possible to have the sampler trigger via the v-drum pads? Will their be any lag or delay?

Re: drum advice needed

Stormdrum.

It's got loads of sampled kits in addition to huge percussion ensemles and sampled electronic percussion kits too. It has to be one of the most functional synths in my arsenal.

Thank you Mr. Froggie I checked it out and it loks cool, only the loops seem like a waste to me (drumming for eight years cancells the need). Also, how good are the sounds? I'm mainly interested in the drum kit sounds, but all the exotic instruments are a big plus! Any more options or opinions?

SCARBEE IMPERIAL DRUMS

SCARBEE IMPERIAL DRUMS

SCARBEE IMPERIAL DRUMS

SCARBEE IMPERIAL DRUMS!
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Thumbs up Re: drum advice needed

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lastufka
    SCARBEE IMPERIAL DRUMS

SCARBEE IMPERIAL DRUMS

SCARBEE IMPERIAL DRUMS

SCARBEE IMPERIAL DRUMS!
    Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Stirfry,

I too am still searching for the Holy Grail of drum sounds. I was a drummer for 16 years and lived through the big drum sounds of the 80's. (which I love) My Roland R-5 and R-70 drum machines all included some very huge snares and kicks as well as other studio type sounds. Be very careful when selecting your VST or sampled drums. A lot of them are very clinical in nature (IMHO) Even Drum Kit From Hell is pretty standard (very nice toms and cymbals). Of course my tastes are a little on the outdated side but I love a snare drum that sounds like a cannon (not a tissue paper or apology!) Sonic Impalnts has a nice heavy kit (close to my old Roland stuff) for only $24. (download) Of course if your really good at EQ and effects (i'm not) then Scarbee or BFD or DKFH will all work nicely. But as far as the instant gratification of the old Roland drum sounds my re-sampled R-70 is, so far, the best I have. Again this is all my humble opinion.

Good Luck!

Darren

Personally I think a combo of StormDrum and Drumkit from Hell would cover most needs. But that's just one opinion, and as you've already guessed, NS forum members have plenty of them.

Really cool guys. Thanks alot for all the info! Now I've got a real starting point in the new world of samples. I love you guys

It's interesting to see this new explosion of REALLY great drum samples. Scarbee and Drumkit from Hell Superior are all amazing libraries that give you control over the mixing of a properly mic'd kit. They require a little effort and knowledge, but the results can be stunning. The kits in Stormdrum are very versatile, with lots of different drums and snares, but they are pre-mixed to a certain degree. There are dryer and wetter versions of many of the drums, so you are not completely locked in, but the idea is to give you kits that are somewhat "radio ready." I am hearing really good things about the kits from SD customers. I don't think they expected the kits to be that great. But, if you are looking for complete control over your drums and microphones, Scarbee and DFH Superior are ideal.

Go Back to forum