• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Vivaldi Guitar Concerto, Finally Completed

Share/Bookmark

Vivaldi Guitar Concerto

Spring is almost over, so our little plant nursery is calming down. My broken fingernail has grown back and so I was able to finally record the first movement of the Vivaldi Guitar Concerto in D. Here are the links to the three movements. Of course all is GPO except the guitar, which is yours truly, somewhat out of practice on my Oribe 10-String Guitar that is in the picture to the left.

I Allegro
    II Largp
    III Allegro

Thank you for listening,

Karl

Re: Vivaldi Guitar Concerto, Finally Completed

congratulations! very nice work. mix is perfect imo

and the guitar playing in the first movement is extremely clean to be a 10 strings guitar. The flaw i always notice in people playing 8 or 10 strings guitars is that they don't take care of muting the harmonics of the extra low strings and it causes a muddy sound. But you did a good job with that.

about the performance, i would have been more aggresive in parts, but again, it's just a question of taste

Very very neat! Guitar has always been a fascinating instrument to me I think this was very fun to listen to and it makes me want to go practice the Baroque keyboard stuff again! I havnt played a baroque peace in years! Literally. I have forgotten how fun a genre it can be.

Good job and I hope to hear more live stuff like that mixed in I wish I had the means to record my real pianos(though ill probably get shot for this, but I prefer uprights and always have).
    Nicole Davis

Very nice indeed Karl!

I'm almost embarrassed to say I 'play' guitar after hearing that, seems now more like I try to play guitar...

Thanks for posting this very cool piece...
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Quote Originally Posted by guybrush threepwood
    congratulations! very nice work. mix is perfect imo and the guitar playing in the first movement is extremely clean to be a 10 strings guitar. The flaw i always notice in people playing 8 or 10 strings guitars is that they don't take care of muting the harmonics of the extra low strings and it causes a muddy sound. But you did a good job with that.
    Thanks, You're very kind. If you want to send a recording engineer to the loony bin real fast, just show up to a session with a 10-string guitar. In live performance, it doesnÕt seem to be quite the problem, but I still find myself constantly trying to mute strings. But for this little recording I cheated. I simply slipped a small piece of foam between the strings and fingerboard at about the 17th fret, under the extra strings. This does a good job without destroying the character of the instrument.

about the performance, i would have been more aggresive in parts, but again, it's just a question of taste
    I gave up trying to be the worldÕs greatest guitarist many years ago. I thought of taking the first movement at a slightly faster clip, but I just donÕt practice much any more and I actually would have had to go into the woodshed. So I backed it down some so that I didnÕt have to go and edit sloppy playing. I hate doing that. As it is IÕm not real happy with it, but IÕve got other things to fret about. I have a love/hate relationship with all this technology. On the one hand it gives us wonderful things like this forum and GPO, yet we seem to live in an age of such sterile recordings, because we can fuss with all the details. It may not be the best IÕve been in my life, but it is as I was at that moment.

There are other things that IÕd like to say, and questions I have to ask about tempoÕs when mixing midi and live playing, but I think since it relates to much more than this piece, It deserves its own thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole
    I have forgotten how fun a genre it can be..
    I have always loved baroque music just for that reason. One of the reasons that church choirs sing the Messiah so often is that, not only does the piece usually end up sounding so much better than any single person in the choir can sing, (the whole is greater than the sum of its parts), but itÕs just plain fun to sing. I have never gotten tired of singing the Halleluiah chorus even though IÕve sung it hundreds of times ever since my voice changed so many long years ago.

wish I had the means to record my real pianos(though ill probably get shot for this, but I prefer uprights and always have).
    I can very much understand how you might feel that way. I think it is for the same reason I love to play the guitar. You are about as close to the music as you can get. You donÕt have quite the feeling that all the mechanics are isolating you from the sound source. I donÕt even like picks because I feel they just get in the way of me feeling the music.

Allen,
    YouÕre probably much better than you think. Besides, another reason I love this instrument is because unlike the violin you donÕt have to spend 20 years of your life just to develop good intonation. The simplest things can be extremely rewarding, but if you want to reach for the stars, the further you reach, the further they seem to get. The challenges are endless. You have a remarkable artistic sense, as shown by the work youÕve done for Gary and Frank. I'm sure that what ever artistic endeavor you pursue, as long as you pursue it with great enthusiasm, you will excel.

Thank you all again, Karl

WOW Karl, really neat stuff. Your guitar playing is beautiful and the way that you have the Harpsichord (not in your face) makes the rest of the instruments pretty believable. How can anyone listen to that last piece and not weave your head back and forth? Great Job !!!

Karl,

You keep outdoing yourself. I listened to all three movements and am amazed. Outstanding performance on guitar and GPO. The mix is well balanced between guitar and instrumentation.

The Oribe is one fantastic sounding guitar and perhaps you'll consider sampling it. Being a harpist I can sympathize about broken fingernails.

Thanks for posting these. Bravo Maestro!

Gary Garritan

Thumbs up Re: Vivaldi Guitar Concerto

niec work!

The low strings especially seem to have alot of character.
    Operation Mindcrime 2, in stores now.
    or go here...
    The Digital Bitphonic Orchestra
    -Ashif "Ash" Hakik

Dan, Any words of praise like that from an engineer of your caliber go straight to my heart. It has only been recently that IÕve started to take this recording thing at all seriously. The encouragement that all of you offer is deeply appreciated. But of course please offer any suggestions that you think might improve these recordings. I'm learning more each day.

KingIdiot, Thanks for the remarks about the low strings. Although there were not too many low notes in these pieces, I feel also, that they are one of this instruments best features. The bass notes have a clarity about them that other guitars just donÕt seem to possess. I hope to do other things with GPO and this guitar that will show its full range.

And Gary, Gosh, I am so flattered. IÕve been called a lot of things in my life, many of which the now fixed sensor software on this forum certainly would not allow, but IÕve never been called maestro. You really know how to get a guy to practice, donÕt you.

Of course, my guitar and I would be more than honored to have its sound captured. You know how to reach us.

Thank you all again,

Karl

Mmmmmm...that's good Vivaldi

Karl, this sounds just great! It just knocks me out how good the nylon string guitar sounds on these and I love the way you dig into the parts.

Have you considered doing any Rodrigo? The second movement of Concierto de Aranjuez would be a great pairing between GPO and your playing.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast