• Register
  • Help

Topic: String Quartet demo: Tabula Perdita (original composition) critics welcome

Share/Bookmark

String Quartet demo: Tabula Perdita (original composition) critics welcome

Hello all,
    this is the first part of my original string quartet composition called Tabula Perdita. Although my usual composer tools are synths, this was an attempt at a small classical ensemble to create a humorous piece with some 20th century techniques that would still appeal to the average listener not used to more drastic avantgarde. The score is now about 2 years old.
    Enjoy, and if you let me know how I could improve my humble GPO-tweaking and composing skills ... please let me know!
    I'll do the second part soon and try to add some better ambience reverb.
    The link:
    http://www.slosite.com/matejh/DemoMP...rditaPart1.mp3
    Cheers, Aziraphal

Re: String Quartet demo: Tabula Perdita (original composition) critics welcome

I enjoyed "Tabla Perdita" very much. It is wonderful to hear GPO users do such innovative work. For a moment I thought I was listening to the Kronos Quartet.

The textures you weaved, the use of portamento, the musical humor, and your unique writing syle left me wanting more. I am looking forward to the second part.

I hope you would permit this to be posted on the GPO site. Thanks for posting this.

Gary Garritan

We're Not Worthy!! Thanks for your kindness, feel free to post it, I'd be honored. I'll try to hurry up and finish it soon.

Aziphral,

Excellent. I enjoyed your string quartet alot. It is a refreshing bit of work. I can't wait to hear the rest of it. The use of the portamento is great. Now if only I could get it to work like that, we would be all set! :-)

Jonny
    www.jonnylostinc.com

Great piece, though I do not frequent a more modern style (though im starting to think about it!) I find it very interesting This certainly was fun to listen to, thank you for sharing.
    Nicole Davis

String Quartet demo: Tabula Perdita (original composition) - Finished

The song is now finished!

I've completed the second part in several 5AM rising sessions, and also did some minor revisions to the first (mostly dinamics and different pizzicato instrument)

Enjoy, critiques still welcome!

http://www.slosite.com/matejh/mp3/TabulaPerdita.mp3

Cheers Matt

PS:
    Oh, and a few advices for the solo-string enthusiasts. I know they're obvious to sampler users, but just maybe they'll be of small use to one single musician somewhere, and the bandwidth will not have been lost.

1) Don't be afraid to experiment with the sustain pedal - you might have a few lucky accidents by using it here and there; the result might sound better than applying it according to up/down bowing as the real player would do it. It's especially effective with short repeated phrases (3 notes or so) - assign down-pedal to repeated phrase, thereby playing it with different samples and diminishing the impression the piece is played by a sampler.

2) If portamento fails to give the right impression, try pitch bend instead

3) If e.g. the F note has just the right attack sound you're looking for but you want to play F# (which doesn't start aggresively enough), you can get away with pitch-shifting the F a semitone, providing some other strings are playing at the same time.

4) lots and lots of mod control, it's not an organ you're playing.

Smile Re: String Quartet demo: Tabula Perdita (original composition) critics welcome

Matt, This is absolutely brilliant. I just love this piece. The writing is witty with great form. The interplay between the parts shows real craftsmanship. I hate to say it, but IÕve fooled around with a little string quartet without coming anywhere near the realism that you have achieved. This will go directly into my GPO humorous folder to be played whenever IÕm a little down.

Thanks,

Karl

Arizaphal,

I really like your work. Very clever and innovative writing. You play the GPO instruments like real instruments and seem to have fun doing it!

Your suggestions are very helpful and essential for a convining performance - sustain pedal legato use, varying portament, shifting an adjoining sweetnote and mod wheel dynamic contrl. All great suggestions. Perhaps these tips can serve as a basis for a solo string tutorial.

Absolutely marvelous performance!

Thanks for sharing this and I'll put it up on the GPO site soon.

Gary Garritan

Wow, very nice. It sounds like you had a lot of fun with this. Very realistic.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum