• Register
  • Help

Topic: Strings, channels, etc?

Share/Bookmark

Strings, channels, etc?

What do you all do in order to create realistic string sections in GPO? Do you assign a bunch of solo strings to one channel, or do you give them each their own channel and record each one individually?

Usually what I do is I take 2-3 solo strings, plus "Lush" strings, and assign them all to the same channel. This way it has multiple timbres and vibrato types (from the solo strings), plus the resonance of a large section (from the Lush patch). Putting them on the same channel makes it easier to record the mod dynamics all at once (also, I like my tracks to coincide with staves in a score to make it easier to import into a notation program).

My typical GPO string section is comprised of 2 instances:

Instance 1:
    [CH1] Violin 1 Gagli Ens1, Violin Gagli 1 Ens2, Violin 1 Gagli Ens3, Vlns 1 Lush
    [CH2] Violin 3 Guarn Ens1, Violin 3 Guarn Ens2, Violin 3 Guarn Ens3, Vlns 2 Lush

Instance 2:
    [CH1] Viola Ens1, Viola Ens2, Violas Lush
    [CH2] Cello 2 Ens1, Cello 2 Ens2, Cellos Lush
    [CH3] Dbl Bass Ens 1, Basses Lush

(I have a separate instance for pizz, keyswitch, etc.).

This seems to be a pretty realistic sounding and convenient way of getting a string section, and it's pretty convenient and easy to work with. I keep it to these two instances because it's within a full orchestra context which is comprised of six full instances. If I were writing something for just string orchestra, I'd probably give each section its own instance.

Does anyone else work in a similar way? Any differeing methods that have yielded satisfying results? This is just something I've come upon by trial and error, but if there's a better way out there, I'm willing to try.

Thanks,
    chris.

Re: Strings, channels, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeZoot
    What do you all do in order to create realistic string sections in GPO? Do you assign a bunch of solo strings to one channel, or do you give them each their own channel and record each one individually?
    Zoot (or CallYouChris),

If you assign many strings to one channel you will not have as much control. The individual strings would then have the same entrances, dynamic control and relative volumes. You'll need a separate channel for each for the utmost control. If you are combining solo and ensemble strings, then your approach is a very good one. If you want the solo strings to weave in and out you may want to split them off to separate channels.

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum