• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sound FX Libraries and Their Structures...

Share/Bookmark

Question Sound FX Libraries and Their Structures...

As some of you might recall, I'm developing some storm samples to be released in a "Nature FX" CD/DVD. What I'd like to know from potential users is how they would like the sounds structured, both in their file naming and directory layout. The materials length ranges from 10 seconds up to 3:30 in most cases. During the longer takes, there is often quite a change in dynamics. Rain increases and decreases, thunder rolls on, and smacks down quicky, etc...

Would you prefer many small snippets of sounds that you could choose from to build your own sonic landscapes, or larger ones that change their dynamic and tone?

Would you prefer directory structures based off of micing positions, or intensities of the given sounds? Here is a typical example of how I currently categorize the data for storms:
    Facing Outside of Garage_Thunder-very loud - Rain-medium.wav

I asked this one before, but it bears repeating:
    All samples are recorded in 24Bit/88.2kHz. Would you prefer downsampled files, or use the original recordings?

I'll be keeping a record of what everyone would prefer, so that it is useful to as many people as possible.

Thanks for your responses,
    Mike

Mike, I appreciate your effort but aren't there already 100 million thousand thunderstorm libraries? I am also aware of quite a few recorded inside cars, houses, etc.

Now, if they were 5.1 surround at 24bit 96khz I'd say you're onto something.

Nonetheless, I would take a critical listen to the original sample rate and the downsampled ones. If there is a substantial loss in quality, then I would release the higher sample rate ones and let us do the conversions as necessary.

If I had that kind of cash flow, I'd put together a 5.1 recording rig. 5.1 storms would sound incredible. I understand that the market is crowded with these types of libraries, but I figured I might as well sell what I consider to be quality storm samples at a reasonable price. If noone goes for it, all is well. My first goal is to make sure I have them available to myself. I also enjoy recording sounds in my free time, so it is also a hobby. Thanks for your input!

Mike

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by unconscious sound
    If I had that kind of cash flow, I'd put together a 5.1 recording rig. 5.1 storms would sound incredible. I understand that the market is crowded with these types of libraries, but I figured I might as well sell what I consider to be quality storm samples at a reasonable price. If noone goes for it, all is well. My first goal is to make sure I have them available to myself. I also enjoy recording sounds in my free time, so it is also a hobby. Thanks for your input!

Mike
    You're fine. There's always room. You might even explore a deal through SoundDogs, et. al., to distribute your sounds. They get a little bit of my money on every show, and it's all about auditioning for a specific purpose.

Per your structure:

I would definitely make it a QuickSound-searchable library, if you have GigaStudio. Getting all the cross-references, keywords, etc., in there really helps the search process. Hollywood Edge has a Giga edition that is just killer in this regard (Dave Govett did the QuickSound stuff--it's easy to do if you do it as you go, rather than save it all for later).

I would advise you to provide ambient beds AND shorter, more specific sounds. I find that I need both, and that they are of equal importance in constructing a nice, seamless soundscape. I have recorded lots of my own SFX, too, and it is very rewarding to have a personal collection.

Per the filespec, I have found that 24-bit files are "worth their weight," but for me the 88.2, 96, and higher bitrates are not. We are ultimately vibrating cardboard cones in boxes with this stuff. It's good to keep that in mind.

Bruce

Go Back to forum