• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Convolution software; the situation so far...

Share/Bookmark

Convolution software; the situation so far...

There is a growing choice of convolution software packages (some are integrated in DAW software), some eat up most of your CPU resources, some have processing delays of>300 ms. Who has experience with several of them and what are your preferences so far?

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Post
    There is a growing choice of convolution software packages (some are integrated in DAW software), some eat up most of your CPU resources, some have processing delays of>300 ms. Who has experience with several of them and what are your preferences so far?
    Talking about the released ones: definitely Waves IR-1, the sampled room sets are marvellous and the quality and flexibility is stunning...

Just my 2 euro cents

Ciao,

Simone Coen
    Simone Coen
    Musician, Producer, Sample Library Producer
    www.chocolateaudio.com

definitely Waves IR1 for tweakability and IR library.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazul
    definitely Waves IR1 for tweakability and IR library.

Hard to beat Voxengo Pristine Spaces as far as quality/price is concerned.
    You can get excellent I.R. at www.noisevault.com to complement it.

Quote Originally Posted by P de Caumette
    Hard to beat Voxengo Pristine Spaces as far as quality/price is concerned.
    You can get excellent I.R. at www.noisevault.com to complement it.
    I kinda agree, but the library soming with IR-1 is not even comparable... real theathres and gourgeous spaces recorded at 32 bit float / 96 KHz resolution with the future chance of true surround reverb (any surround format, any!)

Also: tweakability is unbeatable... like an 'old' digital reverb...

Best,

Simone Coen
    Simone Coen
    Musician, Producer, Sample Library Producer
    www.chocolateaudio.com

For non-real-time:FIReverb

www.catt.se - I really love the sound of this program. I've been working with a simulation of Mechanic's Hall in Worcester Ma for a while now and it really brings the sampled pianos to life. I'm just about to start playing around with its 5.1 upmix capabilities.

Freya

Re: Convolution software; the situation so far...

I've got to agree with Simone. The IR1 is one of the best bits of software I've ever had the pleasure of using. What sold it to me was the amount of editing that can be achieved compared to the other products. There's so much tweakability that, if used subtley, can make a big diference to the mix. The amount of decent halls and rooms etc is quite staggering, I've not got halfway through them all yet!.
    Trev Parks

I have Pristine Space and think it is absolutely great, especially for its low price.

But I have to agree that there is a huge lack of really good natural spaces, which is where IR-1 jumps in, with its high price. For pro's IR1 is probably the best choice, but for amateurs and semi-pro's PS is a very good alternative.

I have a set of impulses from Ernest, which are the best I have heard, but they are unfortunately not yet in true stereo-stereo (quad channel).

The free impulses on NoiseVault are nice, at best, but are not (yet) up to par with the impulses from Ernest and probably Waves (I have only used the evaluation version with the embedded impulses).

I think it is time for AudioEase to release a commercial library of true stereo impulses for use in other convolvers than AltiVerb. I would gladly shell out some 200 dollars for a good set of natural spaces.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I agree with everyone here so far, that Waves IR-1 is absolutely the best I have used. The library is amazing, and the flexibility and tweakability of the impulses in real time is best of class.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    I agree with everyone here so far, that Waves IR-1 is absolutely the best I have used. The library is amazing, and the flexibility and tweakability of the impulses in real time is best of class.
    Any tips on creating a convincing soundstage with it, Bruce? Which impulses would be the best to use? I haven't had much time yet to delve deeply into IR-1.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast