• Register
  • Help

Topic: String Orchestra

Share/Bookmark

String Orchestra

Hi Everyone,

I’ve just finished mixing my Second Meditation so I wanted to post it here. It is scored for String Orchestra and Horn Choir. All the “Orchestral samples used in this recording are from Garritan Personal Orchestra™ ”. (See Gary, I read the fine print! )

The piece is 14 ½ min. long. I've included links to an MP3 and RealMedia files. The streamed version is RealMedia and recorded for dial-up through DSL/Cable, it should have the best quality if you have DSL

*Warning!* This is full strength Serious Concert Music.*Warning!*

The Complete Score in PDF

Second Meditation, Op. 14 No. 2 : Streamed

Second Meditation, Op. 14 No. 2: MP3

Thank You for listening, I really appreciate it.

John
    John Philip Samarco
    www.pegasusmusic.us

Very nice! The only thing I would like to hear is more dynamics and a better mix. It's a bit too quiet and I think that's why I am getting a lot of digital noise.
    Aside from this, it's a pretty cool piece of work!
    Very nice indeed, thanks for posting!
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner
    John, Very impressive. I'm very impatient and usually my works are 5 or 6 minutes in duration. It's great that you took a lot of time in developing your ideas.

Looking at your PDF from a copyist's perspective. Looks like this was done in Finale 2004. The group brackets are a bit too close to the left barline for my preference. Take a look at the horn accidentals throughout. There's a lot of double naturals (bars 73, 74, 162, 320, etc...) I've never seen that before. There's a lot of double sharps too. Not the "x-type" double sharp character, but two sharps next to each other.

Horn 1, bars 35 & 47 has an Ebb that probably should be written as a D natural.

In horns 3 & 4, bar 90, you have "a2" marked but divisi layers written. Is this meant to be played by more than 4 horns total?

Bars 95 & 96 have Finale's famous floating rests.

There are some collisions in bars the horns, bars 255-257. Bar 300 too. You might want to re-run the spacing utility.

Great work. Looks like you put a lot of time into this.
    Jeff
    Jeff,

Thanks for the post and the proofreading. I just looked at my last hardcopy of the score and none of the funny double accidentals are there. I'm not sure when or how Finale could have done that, but they only show in the PDF. I'll fix it.

You caught the last 2 "a2" I didn't delete. I need to be more careful.

Thanks again,

John
    John Philip Samarco
    www.pegasusmusic.us

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Very nice! The only thing I would like to hear is more dynamics and a better mix. It's a bit too quiet and I think that's why I am getting a lot of digital noise.
    Aside from this, it's a pretty cool piece of work!
    Very nice indeed, thanks for posting!
    Thanks, Sal-

I'm not sure what you mean by more dynamics, but I'm the new kid on the block when it comes to mixing. Any suggestions on making a better mix? Hint, Hint

John
    John Philip Samarco
    www.pegasusmusic.us

Thumbs up Re: String Orchestra

Lovely! I don't know how people can write pieces that are this long and still keep them interesting! It really amazes me! Excellent development!

One suggestion. When the pizzicato strings come in, it seemed a little out of place because it was the first time introduced into the piece. Maybe, if you put a small part with pizz a minute or so prior to it's real entrance...doesn't have to be anything big, just something that will ease the transition.

Really wonderful piece

Re: String Orchestra

Quote Originally Posted by Dimora
    Lovely! I don't know how people can write pieces that are this long and still keep them interesting! It really amazes me! Excellent development!

One suggestion. When the pizzicato strings come in, it seemed a little out of place because it was the first time introduced into the piece. Maybe, if you put a small part with pizz a minute or so prior to it's real entrance...doesn't have to be anything big, just something that will ease the transition.

Really wonderful piece
    Dimora,

Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate it.

It's that abrupt change, when the Pizz strings come in, that I was looking for. It says "WAKE UP OUT THERE!" , and helps define the new section, which is repeated later on. Thanks again.

John
    John Philip Samarco
    www.pegasusmusic.us

Go Back to forum