• Register
  • Help

Topic: Chorus, Choir.

Share/Bookmark

Chorus, Choir.

Boy I got to tell you. I just finished a song for the play and it called for a very angelic chorus at the end. I had no choice but to use "mello choir" on a Roland SC88 and man what a pain trying to get it to sound half way decent. Lots of effects and spacing. How I long for the Chorus samples I heard were coming some day in the not so distant future. I was dreaming how awesome it may have sounded in this song. Hint hint. Anyone care to hear I'll send you an mp3 snippy dippy of the ending. (?) Hey! I like sharing music with everyone no matter! Drop me a line and I'll send you mine, K?
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Boy I got to tell you. I just finished a song for the play and it called for a very angelic chorus at the end. I had no choice but to use "mello choir" on a Roland SC88 and man what a pain trying to get it to sound half way decent. Lots of effects and spacing. How I long for the Chorus samples I heard were coming some day in the not so distant future. I was dreaming how awesome it may have sounded in this song. Hint hint. Anyone care to hear I'll send you an mp3 snippy dippy of the ending. (?) Hey! I like sharing music with everyone no matter! Drop me a line and I'll send you mine, K?
    Send it on! You know I'll listen to it.

Yeah, Frank, where's Voci light? I can't take it anymore. I'm dying over hear. The illusive add-ons.

Hey Joe! Ya got a star back! Congrats!!
    Styxx

You'll have one soon. You have to go through the dreaded unknown quanity period first. You'll get there. Of course, I'll be back down to nothing soon! Wait until I post this waltz I'm working on. If that don't do it, nothing will.

Hey,
    Ya should be getting an mp3 soon. Give me a yell once you've checked it out.

Ah, I don't mind the stars bit. I like the concept of being an "unknown quantity" at this point. I have my stars every day of my life living with me.
    Styxx

Good stuff. I think you did a great job considering what you used. Not bad at all. I sent you an email, but I thought I'd pat you on the back publicly as well. The song itself was very good. What was that, was it live?

Thanks Joe,
    Is it live or is it...? Would you believe I use a Roland MC-80 sequencer, a Roland SC-88 sound module, and then loaded the midi file into CWHS 2004XL and added GPO strings - vlns 1,2, viola 1,2, cello, and bass to track 2. I added chorus to the strings for an odd space B movie effect but I think it needs more tweaking.
    Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. I think what I am going to do is offer all my sound files of the past five musicals I did to anyone on this forum who can or just plain like to have them. Just for grins.
    So before I sign off for the evening there is one more thing I just have to do.
    The Gico Geko hits the windshield!
    Styxx

Love that SC-88

Hey Styxx, you have to love some of the sounds on the Sound Canvas 88 modules. I have an SK-88Pro, which works fantastic as a keyboard controller for GPO as well, with an assignable slider for modulation, etc. Really handy -- looks like a toy, but it's got a lot hidden under the hood. The "melted choir" patch can come close to giving you that Gizmotron-type vox effect (like 10cc's "I'm Not in Love" or Billy Joel's "Just the Way You Are"). If you hide it in the background, with a wash of reverb on it, it can pass as a choir. If you blend it with a couple real vocal trax's (sing very breathy/airy), it can create a convincing illusion of a choir.

Your right about is ease of use but the SC-88 has no sliders unlike the SC-155 I used to have. That had sliders on it for every track and you could record in real time changes in controls. I've had pretty good luck with the chorus on the SC-88 but can't stand the "do" sample. Geezzz what were they thinking? I hear the SC-90 has voice syllables you can overlay and different male/female voice samples. Haven't heard one yet only read about them.
    I'm betting my money on Voci Bela Di Media. Judging on their Diva product it has to be excellent.
    Thanks.
    Styxx

Yeah...looking forward to the new choral samples. Will indeed be a very nice complement to GPO I'm sure.

Looking forward to also hearing your piece btw...

Cheers

Rodney

Go Back to forum