• Register
  • Help

Topic: Basic recording question

Share/Bookmark

Question Basic recording question

I have to say.. I'm incredibly jealous of all of you who are posting their demos. I always thought I was computer savvy, but at this point, I'm stumped. What I have is, I think, a very simple question. When I'm using GPO as a VST, playing back audio from a notation program, how the hell do I record it? I have GPO, I'm using Noteworthy Composer or Ovation (depending on the day), and I can get the sound to come out with no problem. I obviously have Cubasis VST 4 from purchasing GPO, but I can't figure that thing out. I've done the tutorial, but it hasn't really helped... :-( PLEASE HELP! Email me if this is going to be beating a dead horse - delfuvio@comcast.net. Thanks.

Hi

You might get more of a response if you post this question over at this site's Garritan board.

Cheers and luck
    Heath

Quote Originally Posted by DelFuvio
    I have to say.. I'm incredibly jealous of all of you who are posting their demos. I always thought I was computer savvy, but at this point, I'm stumped. What I have is, I think, a very simple question. When I'm using GPO as a VST, playing back audio from a notation program, how the hell do I record it? I have GPO, I'm using Noteworthy Composer or Ovation (depending on the day), and I can get the sound to come out with no problem. I obviously have Cubasis VST 4 from purchasing GPO, but I can't figure that thing out. I've done the tutorial, but it hasn't really helped... :-( PLEASE HELP! Email me if this is going to be beating a dead horse - delfuvio@comcast.net. Thanks.
    I've never used Cubasis, but I am a Cubase guy. If Cubasis is like Cubase, then all you need to do is;

Place the left and right locators at the beginning and ending of the part(s) you wish to record, go to the File drop-down list, choose export, then Audio Mixdown. If there is no Audio Mixdown selection (which might be the case with Cubasis) then it should still be some sort of export command in the File drop-down.

If you have an M-Audio or Soundblaster Live soundcard, you can use Cubasis to record from the "Monitor Mixer" on the M-audio card, or "What you hear" on the SB Live. With other cards that don't have that kind of routing, you will need a digital audio patchbay program. I used Virtual Audio cable from:

http://spider.nrcde.ru/music/software/eng/vac.html

with my Mia soundcard and Overture. It worked very well and was easy to use. You just create a virtual cable and record into Cubasis (or any other sound recording program - I use Sound Forge) while you playback in your scoring program.

-- Martin
    http://www.starbirthmusic.com

Go Back to forum