• Register
  • Help

Topic: Help from Professor Synthetic please

Share/Bookmark

Help from Professor Synthetic please

Help from Professor Synthetic please

We are proud users of Giga and patently await Giga 3
    Problem. We have suffered an elusive hisssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss from somewhere and have finally tracked it down to Giga.
    Load Giga and fill up with sounds. Great, silent.
    Apply any of the Giga echo’s or reverbs and hissssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.
    Turn off and no hisssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.
    Apply the latest NFX4 no hisssssssssssssssssssssssss

Turn off all Giga processors and silent again.
    Go to sample page and tick Dither and hisssssssssssssssssssss
    Turn Dither off and alls well.

Please synthec, any suggestions?

Re: Help from Professor Synthetic please

I\'m not familiar with that problem. You might want to contact tech support on that one, sorry.

Brucy Boy,

This doesn\'t sound like a software bug, since it\'s not generally repeatable. In all my time on this forum and the previous Giga forum, Ive never heard of anything like this - unless the HISS is so low level that nobody has noticed it.

How loud is the hiss? Can you measure it in dB?

Possibilities for loud hiss?

Your giga install might be corrupted.
    The OS might be corrupted.
    Your hardware (HD, CPU, RAM, MB, Audio card) might be corrupted.

Overall, it would seem that a least-significant bit is erroneously getting mapped into a significant bit.

A virgin install of the OS, drivers and Giga might help track it down, as would some hardware swaps.

Best of luck.

Hi John.
    Thanks for your thoughts. You may very well have the answer with the level suggestion. I find it very hard to accept though that I am the only one experiencing this and I certainly cant face reinstalling the whole system on ten PCs. I think the interesting thing is that the problem is totally predictable and repeatable. We now have 10 Gigas in the system and every one has exactly the same problem. Isolate one Giga and its there; put it back into the system and its there.
    (Only with settings as described below)

We mix down to Wave Lab and the noise shows up on the level meters and is audable in very quiet sections and long fade ins at high level. Funny though, the noise level at the SPDIF out of the last Giga is exactly the same with one Giga as it is with all ten. No significant increase in level when effects are added and complete silence when the echo’s are off, nothing showing on Wave Labs meter.
    If you get a moment perhaps you could give it a try? As I said, I can’t find any more machines to test. Set the output of Giga to just short of max or zero.
    If you have Wave Lab, in record mode go to settings, select custom then select a Global Range -143DB and see what you get. With echo on I get a noise level of
    -94DB. Turn echo off and level meter slips back to nothing.
    If you mix to another medium just whack up the level and check the meters with echo on and off.

Just had a thought, I hope its not the French girls here in Paris!!!!!!!!!!

Load Giga and fill up with sounds. Great, silent.
    Apply any of the Giga echo’s or reverbs and hissssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.
    Turn off and no hisssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.
    Apply the latest NFX4 nothing

Turn off all Giga processors and silent again.
    Go to sample page and tick Dither and hisssssssssssssssssssss
    Turn Dither off and alls well.

If it\'s ten PCs, then it\'s certainly not bad hardware. Unless your installations were made by cloning hard drives, then it\'s not likely a bad install either.

I have a busy evening planned, but if I get a chance, I\'ll check it out.

Oh yeah, now we are talking! I like this forum interface alot more. Thanks guys!

Just to double check, I take it you can get this hisssss with only one GigaStudio with the effects enabled? Or do you have to enable them all? I figure just one is all it takes but it never hurts to ask. If it were to occur on only multiple machines at once, that would be an unforseen anomaly when using the effects on a bunch of machines at once. I doubt this though but be sure and verify that.

It makes good sense that the problem only happens with the first three effects and not NFX-4 the countour. The contour (NFX-4) is just the contour from the other three effects all by itself. So, its the effects processing (reverb-delay & chorus) that is the culprit in some way but the eq contour is not a part of the problem in any of the effects. Thats a good clue.

The dither on & off is acting exactly as it should. You should get some dither noise when it is "ON" You only want to have this turned on if you have an archaic 16 bit only card. However, if you are using 24 or 32 bit cards, be sure this is "not" checked and that the bit rate is set to 24 or 32 bit.

Also, double check those effects when you enable them and look at the input setting. You should be able to change it to -12 -6 0 +6 +12 dB . If that is by any strange chance set too high, that will make for some noise. Just click on the little rectangle shaped lights to change the input amount. Its possible that you all are using these three effects and someone has set the input way to high on all of them but since you probably don't use the contour, it is set at the default level. This is what I would bet on but who knows. Let us know.

Another route to check is the card routing to see if the digital outputs & connections are somehow exposing some noise when the effects are engaged. If there are analog connections on the audio cards, you might see if you can monitor through those. It sounds like you may be daisy chaining SPDIF connections or something. Perhaps this exposes some glitch. Anyway, some experimenting and narrowing down could help figure it out.

Have fun!
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    If it\'s ten PCs, then it\'s certainly not bad hardware. Unless your installations were made by cloning hard drives, then it\'s not likely a bad install either.

I have a busy evening planned, but if I get a chance, I\'ll check it out.
    I tried it on my machine: GS160, Athlon 2400+, 1.5 GB, MIA, Seagate ATA-Vs and I didn't hear any noise. I just loaded one instrument (Westgate Flute sus-vib), and I tried the various effects and listened on my sealed headphones with the output gain cranked to ridiculous. I couldn't hear any noise with this setup. There was a fair amount of ambient noise in the background, but still, if the noise is there, it's very faint. I didn't try the dither.

-Jon Fairhurst

Go Back to forum