• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Patience Discovered Version 2.0

Share/Bookmark

Patience Discovered Version 2.0

Well, since I posted this on the Compose Forums, I thought I might as well take some flack from you guys as well . This is my first piece of music ever. It uses GPO exclusively and was written in Overture. The piece is not finished and I have not bothered to add dynamics to it yet. Please feel free to curse, spit, froth, laugh, whatever. I would appreciate some professional criticism as I have been studying orchestration via textbook for a while now (however this is my first venture into making my own.) Anyway, thanks for the listen.

Instruments:
    Flute Solo V
    Clarinet
    Solo Gagli Violin
    Gagli Violin Ens.
    Cello Ens.
    2 Double Basses
    Timpani
    Bass Drum
    Tubular Bells
    Piano

Patience Discovered Version 2.0 Score in pdf

Re: Patience Discovered Version 2.0

It\'s hard to say much here because orchestral music without dynamics is like pizza without cheese......

Give us more when you\'ve added dynamics etc. Music should be judged on it\'s whole, I\'m afraid.

You have a nice start here though. Keep going with this.

Maybe someone else will add some constructive comment here..........

[ QUOTE ]
    It\'s hard to say much here because orchestral music without dynamics is like pizza without cheese......

Give us more when you\'ve added dynamics etc. Music should be judged on it\'s whole, I\'m afraid.

You have a nice start here though. Keep going with this.

Maybe someone else will add some constructive comment here..........

[/ QUOTE ]

I\'m impatient. I don\'t have every day to do this stuff, it\'s taken about a month for this level of progress. The song was originally piano only. Of course, I\'ve got nothing but time... Just wanted to know that I wasn\'t wasting my time.

I\'m no professional Joseph and it\'s hard to comment on this as I don\'t know what you are trying to achieve. If you are after a minimalistic result then you are probably on your way. If you want the full orchestra sound then I think you could look at using a full string pad for one of the parts just to fill it in or add another part with at pad type section.

I suspect that it would benefit from some \'joining up\' with some use of legato. Also it is difficult to judge, as has been said, without the final dynamics.

The scantlings are there they just need building on and detailing.

Keep going. Remember, that this is your first piece of music and as such you don\'t deserve flack.....you deserve assistance. It takes a certain amount of guts for anyone to post a piece and that should be respected. Every endeavour starts with a single step.....who knows what you\'ll be doing a hundred steps from now.

Frank

Do you have some composer or classical style in mind? If so let us know who it is. If not it might pay to listen to a few pieces that you like and then choose one to try and emulate, initially. Just my tanner\'s worth.

Hello, just got back from a fun but short lived camp out. Kid ended up with a high fever and so here I am back at home sweet home sigh.

Dont let any critisism fool you. Afterall just read music history, some of the most famous composers were often the most ridiculed in there time. (Mozart, Tchaikovsky, ect). Most often then not the average joe would rather listen to something more in \"style\" like the themes to certain movies ect. Its just a phase of our time. No one can truly judge your piece without throwing in a personal opinion, and thats the simple truth.

Ok so here we go. You mentioned you didnt bother throwing in dynamic expression at this point and I have taken that into consideration. The feel I get is a sorta modal feel and almost Renaissance dance but minus certain traits of the period. I personally found it interesting I think once you get the instruments midified as I now call it hehe, it could go any direction and ill await to hear what you do with it Dont be affraid to experiment or have to fit in(i.e. movie sound, rock ect). Be as radical as you want or as passive. Its all up to you and your heart

Well, I wasn\'t shooting for any certain style or trying to emulate anyones sound. However, the Renaissance dance style seems to have been brought up on more than one occasion. The piece started out piano only and I just wanted to embelish it into something chamber-ish. The dynamics will certainly add a certain amount of finish to it, I just don\'t have time yet (or patience ). The piece isn\'t even finished yet. I\'m still harboring on whether or not to repeat something already there (I\'d rather not) or to strike out on another melody at the end drawing from the pre-existing structure to finish it.

The name of the piece comes from a friend who knows how wishy washy I am. I cannot do one thing too long before I go off on a tangent. I\'m trying hard to finish this piece before moving on to another or something else entirely.

Maybe I jumped the gun, posting this in such an unfinished state, but the fact that I hadn\'t contributed anything seems to have pushed me in this direction. Maybe I\'ll remove the post...

Joseph, I think most people have a lot of unfinished pieces on the backburner for re-visiting one day....whether you are a woodworker, artist or whatever.....no harm in that. Have a break with something else and come back to it another time feeling refreshed.....and maybe you\'ll spot an obvious direction then.

It often helps!

Cheers

Frank

Frank, if I stop, I fear that I\'ll never start again. This doesn\'t come as easily to me as it does to some. I don\'t have perfect pitch and I\'m not all that versed in music. This is a labor of love. Anyway, I\'m at a hurdle now in any case. I\'ve listened to the song so much that I don\'t think I can come up with an ending, it already ends in my subconscience where it finishes now. I\'m just wracking my brain, but nothing I do sounds natural because I\'ve heard it the way it is too many times. Does this ever happen to you guys? I\'m pushing too hard as well, that can\'t be a good thing.

:Bump:

Can\'t access.

Go Back to forum