• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO - TapeOp Review

Share/Bookmark

GPO - TapeOp Review

I am a subscriber to this little known magazine called TapeOp, they focus mainly on analog recording techniques and equipment, so I was almost shocked to see the name Garritan in bold letters in their review section.

TapeOp had many nice things to say regarding GPO, I am currently trying to contact them to see if I can reprint the article for you guys here, and I will post as soon as I hear from them.

Being reviewed by a mostly analog mag sure is an honor. Thanks everyone at TapeOp for taking the time to try out our GPO world...

Re: GPO - TapeOp Review

A funny coincidence indeed considering my post the other day ( see ..\'can we fool anyone\') in which I discuss analogue recording and GPO etc.

I recieve TapeOp and just got the new issue in. Haven\'t had time to read it yet now I have to. Cool.
    Thanks for the up and up.

Cool, I\'ll have to check it out, I subscribe as well. Probably waiting for me at home!! TapeOp is a very worthwhile read, with lots of great recording articles and interviews. And the subscriptions are free, too...

Jim

DAHHHH! I\'m not finding the...oops! Never mind...I found it as soon as I put on my spectacles.

I used to subscribe...now that I think about it..I don\'t know why they stopped coming!

Friends...
    What a hoot to see the name WALTER SEAR on the cover. Back in 1966 I was in high school in New York. Walter Sear was still playing tuba in the City in addition to importing instruments. He had also started Sear Sound in the Great Northern Hotel in the City (It has since moved). When going for my lessons, I obviously discovered all his audio gear-he had a ham radio license, as do I. He also had a love for tube radio & audio gear, as do I.

To pay off my lessons, I\'d cut school & work in his studio, changing patch cords, soldering (yes--SOLDERING), and cleaning up messes. He never let me near the mixing board, though. It\'s also not impossible that my tambourine playing (and a janitor\'s triangle playing) got onto some \"interesting film\" soundtrack when a percussionist forgot to show up. Walter\'s studio also had a theremin that worked pretty well!

While working there I got to meet Robert Moog and the (Pre-Wendy) Walter Carlos.
    I watched while Walter made a record called \"The Copper Plated Integrated Circuit,\" one of the first pop records to use so much electronics. Anyone got that LP in the attic or basement?

So that was my early intro to electronic music! I still read Walter\'s rants in various magazines about the superiority of tubes. And yes, I still have four Hammarlund receivers, two Nationals, a Hallicrafters, and two Johnson transmitters.

Wow--what a memory jog!!

Jim \"Screen Modulated AM Still Rules\" Williams

Go Back to forum