• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: What's the easiest way to do a MIDI mixdown in GS?

Share/Bookmark

What\'s the easiest way to do a MIDI mixdown in GS?

Hi last day I was trying to do a mixdown using Conexant GM500 in CubaseSX 2 and Gigastudio but when I did the mixdown, first I recorded a track in real time with the output directed from gigastudio to an input in cubase, but I had some skips and I also had to select the output for each MIDI channel and then I had to load each sample from GM500 in it\'s selected MIDI channel.

There\'s an easiest way to do this?

Re: What\'s the easiest way to do a MIDI mixdown in

Checkout the \"Capture to Wave\" feature in GS. It\'s the easiest way to mixdown in GS 2.5. You can mute/unmute as many tracks as you want, depending on how you want to structure your post-capture mix.

Rewire may be the easiest when 3.0 comes out, but one will need enough RAM and CPU to do it without clicks and pops.

How much RAM & CPU do you have? That may be the reason for your dropouts.

I was trying to do the Capture trick but when I play the sequencer, in gigastudio doesn\'t seems to receive the START parameter.

Pentium 4 1.8 GHz 256 RAM

Is your sequencer project configured to send that start message? In CW, I need to make sure to check \"send start message,\" in order to capture to wave.

I\'ve played around with the START/STOP messages in a few configurations. I\'ve found GS to be totally simple and reliable on this point. GS doesn\'t need the MIDI clock for instance, just the simple START/STOP messages. All of the cases where it didn\'t work were tracked down to the sequencer/controller.

For instance I found that Sibelius 2 filtered out the STOP/START messages. I reported this to Sibelius. Now, in Sibelius 3 you can add those MIDI commands, and it works fine with Giga. My very own feature!

I can also setup my keyboard to send START/STOP and it also works. It\'s not all that useful, but it\'s kind of cool to be able to do.

So check the menus of your sequencer, and you should be able to get this to work.

I\'m using Cubase SX 2, do I have to setup something in order to cubase send the start to gigastudio?

I don\'t own SX2, so all I can say is \"probably\".

Anybody?

[ QUOTE ]
    I\'m using Cubase SX 2, do I have to setup something in order to cubase send the start to gigastudio?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi,

I am using Cubase SL 2 with GS96. I found out, that you have to start your song at the position \"1.01.01.000\" when you\'re using the capture to wave option in GS.
    In GS you have to set \"Synchronize to MIDI...\" and some sync setups in Cubase.

I played a bit with the setup in Cubase, but it\'s working for me.

Open the Sync Setup Screen:

Transport>Sync Setup (I have the german version, so I hope it\'s called \"Sync Setup\")
    In the Sync Setup you will find Timecode, MIDI Timecode, MIDI clock and so on.
    Play around, for instance mark the GS fields in the MIDI clock window..

Hope this helps,
    michel

You may want to look in the *.pdf files, there you will find also some advices how to use the sync function.

Thank you very much michael, your info helped me a lot, now I finally could do the audio capture trick

I\'m sure I\'m doing this wrong too... but, I use GS 2.5 and Sonar 2. (same concept across the boards i\'m sure)

Say I have 10 instruments. I\'ll create one track with just a simple \'blip/hit\' at the beginning. (single note, or percussive instrument) Then, I\'ll solo the \'blip track\' along with all my strings. Use GS to capture the wav. Hit play and let it go all the way through. Then, I\'ll mute the strings (so I\'ll know i\'ve recorded them already) and then solo all my drums. Sometimes snare drums and bass tend to pop more than others so I\'ll do those separately. Then, same with the solo instruments and woodwinds.

Once I have my 5-6 .wavs, i\'ll fire up another program such as Acid or Nuendo or even premiere and place them lining up all the \'blips\'. You\'ll have to zoom waaay in there to make sure they all line up by looking at the wave form created with your program. (be sure to give a 2-3 meausure lead way before your music begins) This is where I mix in my final one hit percussives or do my pans/swipes/fades or any other extras before output the final track.

I know this is el ghetto, but I don\'t have the cpu power to push it out all at once. Now, I\'m sure if I had a .dat recorder, it could record everything no problemo. Till I find another method, I suppose I\'ll stick with it. Its just a pain in the arse to sit and wait a good 6-8 minutes to play out an entire section just to rewind, solo a few and play it all another 6-8 minutes.

hope that helps. or... helps someone

Go Back to forum