• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: I hate our economically driven society...

Share/Bookmark

I hate our economically driven society...

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    I just need to rant.

Why is it that at ever chance we get we come up with some stupid reason to show our consumer driven mindset. Memorial Day weekend is coming up and all I have to say is, \"Who gives a D@mn?\" Why is there this increasing need to turn a holiday that may at one point have had some significance into a reason to go on a trip and waste money on things that the CEO\'s love to sell you. Everyone complains about the gas prices, well don\'t go anywhere for God\'s sake. We\'ve turned all these holidays into meaningless reasons to spend money. I mean, me and my wife want to get away this weekend just to be together and we\'re scared to even bother due to all the people that think that just because its a holiday that\'s a reason to drive 300 miles to an overcrowded vacation spot. So we\'re going to have to delay a long overdue, relationship building, outing because the consumer driven sheep can feed the beast that is our economy. AHHHHH! Look at Mother\'s Day for instance. Why do I have to go out and spend a hundred bucks on my mother, another 100 on my wife, buy my grandmother a card or something? Why? The greatest gift you can give your mother is moving out of her house at a decent age and turning into a successful adult. Money and gifts aren\'t everthing. Is a hundred dollar Mother\'s Day gift going to make you a better son? Nah. So why does it all have to boil down to a reason for the mass retailers to have massive sales and why do I have to get dragged kicked and screaming into the freaking local mall to waste my time? It\'s baffling. No more for me, thanks. No more Christmas gifts to 4th cousins I don\'t even know (Grandma, buy your own d@mn clothes from now on; I mean who waits till Christmas to buy things anyway), no more whiney cards to people I never really liked anyway. I thinking of going Thorough style. Where\'s the cabin in the woods that no one knows about? That\'s my style, back to what matters most. I hate America sometimes. I\'m sick of feeding the monster. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Re: I hate our economically driven society...

[ QUOTE ]
    We\'ve turned all these holidays into meaningless reasons to spend money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then don’t.

[ QUOTE ]
    I mean, me and my wife want to get away this weekend just to be together and we\'re scared to even bother due to all the people that think that just because its a holiday that\'s a reason to drive 300 miles to an overcrowded vacation spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did it ever occur to you that maybe you’re not the only one who needs to get away with his wife for a weekend? And maybe that’s why there are so many people doing it? Or are you the only one entitled to a weekend getaway when the opportunity comes up?

[ QUOTE ]
    So we\'re going to have to delay a long overdue, relationship building, outing because the consumer driven sheep can feed the beast that is our economy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or maybe they just want to be with their wives too?

[ QUOTE ]
    Why do I have to go out and spend a hundred bucks on my mother, another 100 on my wife, buy my grandmother a card or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

You don’t. If those in your life demand that from you, then blame them, not all of American society.

[ QUOTE ]
    I hate America sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

There’s your real problem. If there’s anything to hate about America, it’s how many Americans hate America. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Cheer up. This is what you have to put up with when you live among other people. You can’t control everyone and therefore you’re going to rub elbows with them from time to time. When an opportune time comes for a vacation, you’ve got to accept the fact that it’s also opportune for others as well. Don’t judge everyone as a mindless consumer just because they want to do the same thing as you at the same time.

Thanks for letting me rant back. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] It is therapeutic, isn’t it? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Well, It\'s not so much that the opportunity came up... It\'s that the situation demands it. We\'ve gotten bogged down and need alone time and it just happened to be Memorial Day weekend. Ho hum. But you can\'t say that there isn\'t a consumer driven craze every time a stupid holiday arrives. I just can\'t stand the way people look for every occasion to spend money on fruitless things.

Yeah, it\'s fair to say that a lot of people are hopelessly superficial. And I do wish there weren\'t so many expectations of huge gifts, etc, on arbitrary days. But at the same time I don\'t want to be one to begrudge giving to someone either.

Neither do I, but I\'m a giver all year. Why should I wait until XYZ day to shower my wife with gifts? Do it when the mood strikes is my motto.

I dunno. I think we only perceive these holidays to be a big corporate marketing ploy because we are such a media driven society, and advertisements pay for media.

I wonder sometimes how different this world would seem if I didn\'t have a television.

[ QUOTE ]
    I wonder sometimes how different this world would seem if I didn\'t have a television.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or if we had to pay for television? Oh wait, I guess most of us do nowadays.

Without a TV, it\'s possible to be unaware of a holiday weekend.

Not travelling is perfectly reasonable. If you really want to go somewhere this weekend, yet avoid crowds, you need to think of some place you and your wife would like that the mainstream considers too \"something\", or perhaps not enough. Truly rural places without a lake are often a good bet, as are some of the undeveloped public lands. Local knowledge is important, but there is still time for you to find a place for this weekend, without driving too far, that you will remember for this rest of your life. With careful planning, an open mind, and a bit of luck, the memories may even be pleasant ones.

[ QUOTE ]
    Local knowledge is important, but there is still time for you to find a place for this weekend, without driving too far, that you will remember for this rest of your life. With careful planning, an open mind, and a bit of luck, the memories may even be pleasant ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

Living in South Carolina I can\'t imagine this would be too hard. It\'s a beautiful state. My wife and I honeymooned there. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

There\'s a lot of places like that. That\'s not the problem. It\'s wading through the traffic and the hassles on the interstate. Of course, my experience with that is nowhere near as bad as, say, someone who lives in Craplanta, GA. All kidding aside, I\'d shoot myself in the head if I had to fight Atlanta traffic every day.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast