• Register
  • Help

Topic: Simultaneous crescendos

Share/Bookmark

Simultaneous crescendos

I\'ve noticed more and more as I\'m working through scores that the crescendo markings often occur at the same time for all (feasible) instruments. Originally I was drawing them in on each channel of my sequencer, then later to save effort, made a shadow track for each instrument, where I would copy and paste the relevant parts of the controller graph on to each relevant midi channel independently of the midi notes.

However what would be easiest of wall would be to have a dedicated track in the sequencer which dealt out controller messages to ALL midi channels. Does anyone know how (esp in Cubase/is) to have a controller channel that applies to ALL midi channels?

Re: Simultaneous crescendos

That woul be easy wouldn\'t it ?

I myself use copy/paste alot... but....

If your goal is realism, you should NEVR use the same crescendo on all the instruments, but draw them in for each instrument at a time.... that way, you\'ll get the same amount of variation as a normal orchestra doing a crescendo.

Ron

Haha...such a faux pas from the man who critiszes the incompetent people writing bad reviews in magazines and newbies for asking uneducated questions......

Simultaneous crescendo...that\'s good...what about simultaneous notes/velocities for all voices?

[ QUOTE ]
    Haha...such a faux pas from the man who critiszes the incompetent people writing bad reviews in magazines and newbies for asking uneducated questions......

Simultaneous crescendo...that\'s good...what about simultaneous notes/velocities for all voices?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good one... I double that !
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Very funny. Now I\'m almost speechless!

I was really including myself in those who thought the knob-twiddling was a bit much and the wet samples took up disk space, but three lashes duly received gracefully.

Simultaneous crescendos are easy in Sonar. Just arm all the required tracks, solo one of them and record your mod wheel changes. They will all receive the messages.

This should work in other sequencers too, I would have thought.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Interesting that this has come up now. Check out the post-script of my Two Baby Steps thread where I mention my MFX solution to this.

So... perhaps soon you\'ll have a way to do this!

- m

Simultaneous(exact) crescendos with acoustic instruments? Thats very very unrealistic.

No 2 instruments will ever do crescendos the same. I get much better results doing each track individually. Sure it takes a little more time, but it\'s worth it. Also, don\'t follow the dynamics exactly as marked or the parts will sound blah and unchanging. Musicians will change dynamics during phrases automatically. Usually getting louder as the notes go up (and playing a little quicker) and quieter going down (and slowing down a tad). Shape the dynamics quite heavily on solo passages. Listen to the real thing and try emulating.

Don\'t forget to put in the extra time on your tempo tracks. Real orchestras constantly speed up and slow down. They do not play to a click track!

Go Back to forum