• Register
  • Help

Topic: WRITING FOR STRINGS/LMB UDPATE!

Share/Bookmark

WRITING FOR STRINGS/LMB UDPATE!

Fellow Learners,

We\'re closing in quickly on our June 1 deadline. So pre-register for Writing For Strings/LMB at the lower price now at:
    http://www.truespec.com/store/books/courses/writingforstrings/index.shtml
    http://www.truespec.com/store/books/rimsky/index.shtml

Here\'s a quick update.

1. By the end of Friday, May 21, 14 revised lessons will have been posted.
    2. 15 scores (some complete, others with specific movements selected for study), PDFed and bookmarked have been added to the materials. These come with the lessons, so there\'s nothing extra to buy. These post around June 1. Scores include:

Three complete Mozart string quartets and 1 Mozart String Quintet
    Debussy String Quartet
    Jeux de vagues (Revised and bookmarked)
    Mozart Symphony 41
    Ravel, Rhapsodie Espagnole
    Rimsky Korsakov, Sheherazade
    Respighi, Fountains of Rome
    Wagner, Parsifal Overture
    Stravinsky, Petrushka
    Stravinsky, Rite of Spring
    Holst, The Planets
    Tchaikovsky, Symphony #4

All of the scores have been recorded on low cost budget recording labels.

3. BOWING VIDEOS ON CD
    In June, we\'re releasing with the Writing For Strings/LMB materials only, a CD with QuickTime movies demonstrating bowings. This is the ONLY training program with these kinds of videos.

4. LIVE STUDENT STRING SESSION RECORDING
    Two weeks ago we recorded a live student string session which will be edited and available by June 1 as an MP3 file. This is a true eye/ear opener that you\'ll learn a lot from.

There\'s more coming. So pre-register now at the lower price of $149.00.

Re: WRITING FOR STRINGS/LMB UDPATE!

To all concerned,

I have ponied up for this course, and have had time only to investigate thoroughly the materials for the first lesson, while skimming the next nine. So far it looks good. The directions are precise, the materials voluminous and the examples well considered.

It appears that there is no way to order the lessons without already owning or ordering the Rimsky-Korsakov Orchestration guide published by Peter Alexander. At first, this bothered me, but the integration of the materials is absolute. I see no way of having the one without the other.

I have been writing for horns (jazz style) for years, but I know next to nothing of string instruments or of their very particular needs. I suspect that this course will be a very complete guide.

I\'ll report further as I get more into the work.

Dennis Burton

Thanks for the report Dennis,

I\'m sure this is an important resource for anyone wanting to learn about Writing for Strings.

Gary Garritan

Hi,

I have been looking in the links to the String Writing course, but I am a bit confused about the nature of the course.

I am in Spain, and I am currently working as software engineer, with the risk of been travelling from time to time, so I can not engage the task of ordering a course which will mark a pace for the work, as I can only use my spare time for it.

If I understand well, this course has online content, but you are not forced to meet a timeline, am I right? So it is intended as a self learning course, with may be the possibility of having a mentor?

Thanks in advance,

Anton

[ QUOTE ]
    If I understand well, this course has online content, but you are not forced to meet a timeline, am I right? So it is intended as a self learning course, with may be the possibility of having a mentor?

[/ QUOTE ]

The ten lessons that I\'ve seen so far are self-directed. No due dates that I know of. There is mention of a mentor for later work in the course, but I really don\'t know what that would entail.

Dennis Burton

PS I will be in Barcelona this weekend. If you are familiar with the city and know of any jazz clubs, I would be very grateful to hear of them. Thanks in advance.

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for your answer. This makes me think serously about getting the course. Now you have started with it, do you think it\'s worth for someone with basic background in music, although not much in composition?

P.S: I\'m affraid I can not help you finding a jazz club. I\'m not familiar with Barcelona, but I know there is a lot of musical activity in that city, much more than in Madrid, where I live. So I believe you will find them easily. If you can read Spanish, you could take a look at http://www.paginasamarillas.es

Anton

[ QUOTE ]
    Now you have started with it, do you think it\'s worth for someone with basic background in music, although not much in composition?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the strings are the most important instruments in an orchestra, and I am forming the opinion that just about everything in this course has been designed intelligently and with a clear purpose. The examples are wisely chosen to demonstrate the sounds of the strings playing certain articulations and harmonies, and part of the process is to put all of the examples into GPO, or the sample player that you are using, so that you can hear them. That is helping me with GPO, a real bonus.

I\'m just now working on lesson three, \"The Cello\", and I have learned some things. If I can learn anything from a course, I generally consider it a success, but as I have said before, I am starting from a very low knowledge base concerning string instruments. I have written for jazz groups of various sizes, so musically I\'m not a beginner, but I have unintentionally ignored the strings. It\'s time for me to fix that. Even though I am early in the course, I think that it will work for me.

Thank you for the web site, Anton, I\'ll be lost in Barcelona, but at least I\'ll have the goal of finding one of those clubs.

Dennis Burton

BTW: Madrid is my favorite European city. My wife thinks that I am crazy because she does not like temperatures of 40 degrees celsius. Madrid reminds me of my hometown in California.

Thank you very much for the information about the course, Dennis. I\'m almost decided to go for it. And enjoy your stance in Barcelona. It is a really beautiful and open city.

Anton

Hello,

I tried to access your brochure at the following link:

http://www.truespec.com/downloads/pdf/writing4strings/stringstalkbrochure.pdf

But I received a \"HTTP 404 - File not found\" error. Did the name of the pdf brochure change ?

Thanks,
    Pierre

Go Back to forum