• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: There it goes again!

Share/Bookmark

There it goes again!

I can hear the strings! I can hear the piece materializing and coming together in my head. I can hear all the parts, the harmonies, the melodies. Even how I would like Diva set within! I\'m at work! Nothing to record my thoughts with and I know it will be the same as always... I\'ll forget. How frustrating this is and I guess I can take comfort in knowing I am not alone.
    Still, if only I could share with you what I hear. If I could give it to you and you could make it real! Sometimes I feel as if it is the worst punishment to be a musician who loves so much and so many things yet can be so limited.
    It is still there... Maybe, just maybe I\'ll get lucky and He will hold it for me for the right time. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Re: There it goes again!

Can you write down the melody by itself? When I\'m at work and this happens to me I print up staff paper using MS Powerpoint and at least get the melodic line down. It does take a bit of aural training, but it works for me. Usually once I have the melodic line down I then sketch in with words the mood/feel of the background chords (I\'m not advanced enought with aural skills to identify complete chord progressions).

Get yourself a little voice recorder, or a Pocket PC with a voice recorder. Great for humming things into!

I thought of that but out of desperation I decided to try Finale Notepad 2004 free download. Pretty hairy having something here at work. But instruments sounds on this laptop don\'t leave to much to be desired! The keyboard sound is about the only decent one out of them all. Now, here\'s another avenue I must cross. Hey, I am getting a little bit too old for this learning stuff. I\'ve heard of a learning curve but at my age it is more like a Learning curve to Mars! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Call me crazy! I\'ve gone as far as calling myself and singing an idea on voice mail. After listening to it later, I can assure you the thought was no stroke of genious!

You might give it a try in an emergency - I hope your results will be far better than mine.

William

Oh yes, Styxx, I know what you\'re talkin about. It took me about 12 years of learning, but now I am able to remember musical details I come up with fairly well. Actually it\'s not that different from inventing a poem and remembering it until you can write it down. It just takes much practice....

But I can assure you: Once you get the hang of remembering those things, you will have no problem inventing a complete cue and it\'s orchestration an writing it down at a later time. That can ver very rewarding.

Don\'t give up. Work on it.

I had it up until I was on my way home from work. My habit is to turn the radio on the concert station and the \"Unanswered Question\" by Charles Ives was playing. One of my favorite works that is way out there for its time. I was into it, stopped at the violin repair shop, talked a bit and went home. I couldn\'t even tell you what one melodic line structure was. Maybe I am getting too old for this. Naw!!!! It has to come back~!
    I\'ll be Bach! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

You shouldn\'t have stopped into \"That Violin Shop!\" That must have been the problem! LOL [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    Call me crazy! I\'ve gone as far as calling myself and singing an idea on voice mail. After listening to it later, I can assure you the thought was no stroke of genious!

You might give it a try in an emergency - I hope your results will be far better than mine.

William

[/ QUOTE ]

I have done that four times this year... and counting... seriously!

Take a look at Amazon, and search for \"Listening and writing Music, professional training for today\'s musician\". It\'s a kind of workbook to train the inner ear. It takes time to obtain results, but if you have a method, you are not blind in your way to writing down your music directly from your head.

Regards,

Anton

Go Back to forum