• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Elektric Piano vs. Scarbee 73?

Share/Bookmark

Elektric Piano vs. Scarbee 73?

I picked up a copy of NI\'s Elektric Piano today. I have only really checked out the first piano, the 73 key Rhodes. It seems to have 5 velocities and release samples. The top velocity is perhaps slightly too plonky in certain ranges (like the older 73s were). But overall, I really like it. It\'s less smooth and realistic than Scarbee\'s 73, but it has a little more tine and belly presence and also has a certain vintage sound that is differentr from Scarbee\'s. It will cut through a loud mix a bit better, I think. But, it probably won\'t give great keyboard players the same smooth playing experience as Scarbee\'s. Truthfully both of these EPs are really cool. NI\'s takes up much less ram than Scarbee\'s big patch. If I compare the small Rhodes in Scarbee\'s, I like the NI 73 better. In summary, I am only comparing the 73 to the 73, but if you like smooth jazz, check out Scarbee because of the fuller tone and more velocities. It fools you into thinking you are playing the real thing, almost. If you are more interested in adding a few funky rhodes licks to a tune, or are in a situation where you need to cut through a loud mix, I would listen to Elektric Piano. Or get both and use them accordingly. I am happy to see that NI\'s Elektric Piano has something new to offer. More on the other pianos later.....

Re: Elektric Piano vs. Scarbee 73?

but wait there\'s more. I really like the NI interface and useful effects built in. The 88 key Rhodes is pretty nice and mellow in Elektric Piano. I like the chorus patch for a smooth sound. I like the Wurli, but it\'s a tad bright and heavy on harder velocities. Will cut through a mix for sure. The clavinet doesn\'t seem to play as well as the Emagic one, which I love. It\'s also brighter than the Emagic one. maybe that\'s more realistic, I have never played the real thing. Anyway, it\'s good. I like the NI Elektric Piano instrument the best out of all of the all in one solutions out there. Samples seem to beat models, except for the clavinet from Emagic. We\'ll see what Scarbee\'s sounds like. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I\'ve been jamming all afternoon, and I\'ve got to say that I love the Rhodes MK1 76 key program in Elektrik Piano. It\'s perfect for me. I think this thing is a must have for this piano. I\'ll shut up now.

Hi Nick,

i don\'t know how much you\'re into jazz, but if you play jazz, jazz-rock, fusion, Smooth jazz, ... the only way to go is SCARBEE for the rhodes sound, i mean, we\'re speaking here about realism, nothing else.
    if people like Mitchel forman (bill evans, andy summers, michael MCdonald, wayne shorter), George Duke and philippe Saisse(Aretha Franklin, Al di Meola, Al jarreau ...), well, the names speak for themselves.Saisse told me that when he need the real thing, he use the Scarbee Rhodes instead.
    i listened to the demo provided by NI for their rhodes, and i must admit that it\'s pretty bad compared to Scarbee product.
    when you think about Realism, the only way to go is ... Scarbee...
    this Rhodes (R.S.P.73) is certainly one of the best sampled instrument out there.

Didier.

I agree, but there is something different about the NI Rhodes that appeals to me inspite of the lack of velocities etc. It has a different color. It\'s a nice alternative. Kind of like the Chuck Monte Dyno My Piano mods from the seventies.

Damn, now I have to check it out.. I was pretty convinced that Scarbees rhodes were THE rhodes, especially after listening to the demos of NIEP. I never play Scarbees rhodes without running it through an amp like Amplitube or something else though. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

/Tobias

And when Scarbee\'s Vintage keyboard FX is released as a vst plug-in to Giga3, it will be even better :-)
    Anyone heard when Thomas will release his FX? I have emailed him twice on this without a reply [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Mal

I wasn\'t enchanted by the demos of NI\'s Electric Piano. It seemed to me a nice all-in-one solution for someone who\'s just starting out, sorta like those Silver and GPO libraries. Scarbee\'s Rhodes demos simply never ceases to flabbergasts me. One day I might even buy it. I know a vintage freak, a true maniac who only plays the real thing (Rhodes, Wurlitzer, Moog, etc ) and never believed in a sampled Rhodes, that is until he heard Scarbee\'s.

-----------------
    Alex Cremers

[ QUOTE ]
    And when Scarbee\'s Vintage keyboard FX is released as a vst plug-in to Giga3, it will be even better :-)
    Anyone heard when Thomas will release his FX? I have emailed him twice on this without a reply [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Mal

[/ QUOTE ]

This summer for sure...

Hi Nick,

One thing is sound - basically you can invent a new instrument that sounds fantastic, but another thing is realism. When you try to imitate an original instrument the game is different. The charactersitics that make these instruments unique have to be respected otherwise you have created something else.

By ex. stretching reed/tine/string zones you damage the overall feeling and sound of the original instrument.

Though ex. Rhodes can sound very different (depending on setup: tine angle, pick-up position etc) it will always sound \"creamy\" like butter recorded direct - never \"hard\" like a piano. If this isn\'t the fact - something has gone wrong..

If you want a hard sound - you must play it through an amp.

About Clav - it will feature a completely new sampling/programming technique that will exactly replicate the original instrument - so far the most challenging instrument I have worked on. I can\'t wait to present the first demo. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast