• Register
  • Help

Topic: DP file for Waltz

Share/Bookmark

DP file for Waltz

Here is the Digital Performer file for Waltz for Bert, which, in a thread below, I said I would post even though no one asked. Hope it\'s not seen as being too forward. There aren\'t too many DP files floating around this forum. If you are a seasoned DP user, this file may not be too enlightening, but if you are just getting started with DP it may shed some light on how to make your pieces sound a little more natural. I donít want anyone to think that itís as good as a real piano player recording it, and I havenít given it time to rest in my mind in order to go back and clean it up. But for what itís worth here it is. The intent was to make it sound about as good as I could play it with about 6 months practice. Or to put it another way, like an almost good barroom piano player in the late 1900s after heís had a few too many beers. Maybe in the big band edition of GPO coming to a dealer near you real soon, [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Gary will include ambient nightclub crowd noise, people laughing, glasses clinking, waiters dropping trays etc.[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

DP might ask you what happened to the plugs and such that I used (reverb and such) but just ignore it. You may also have to manually reload the GPO piano in the instrument track that accompanies the midi track. It might ask you for a soundbite, which of course you donít have. Then again it might load with no difficulties. I\'m not sure what it will do.

What I had was a hand written piano rendition that I wrote when sequencing software existed only in the imagination of a couple of programmers. Yesterday I typed the piece into Composerís Mosaic in O.S.9, which it appears MOTU is letting die a slow painful death. The midi file was then imported into DP. The process took about three and a half hours. There were four steps taken to breathe, what I hope was some realism into this sequence:

<ul type=\"square\">[*]Adjusting note attacks so that the notes in a chord donít fall exactly together. (no human is as good as a computer), and to add some natural arpeggiation at key points. [*]Adjusting note lengths so that they allow, for instance, the pianistís hands the time to get from place to place on the keyboard, when, if the damper pedal is not down, there will be a slight break between the notes. [*]Adjusting Velocities with strong and weak beats as well as to reflect the general ebb and flow of the phrasing and dynamics of the piece. Remember that even when a chord is played, the melody is usually a little stronger than the supporting harmonies. Also, no human can play a chord with every note having the exact same velocity. [*]Playing with DPís superb tempo controls to get a more realistic performance.[/list]

Well, thatís it, Hope someone gets something out of this.

WALTZ FOR BERT.dpfile

WALTZ FOR BERT.mp3

Re: DP file for Waltz

[ QUOTE ]
    Here is the Digital Performer file for Waltz for Bert, which, in a thread below, I said I would post even though no one asked. Hope it\'s not seen as being too forward. There aren\'t too many DP files floating around this forum. If you are a seasoned DP user, this file may not be too enlightening, but if you are just getting started with DP it may shed some light on how to make your pieces sound a little more natural. I donít want anyone to think that itís as good as a real piano player recording it, and I havenít given it time to rest in my mind in order to go back and clean it up. But for what itís worth here it is. The intent was to make it sound about as good as I could play it with about 6 months practice. Or to put it another way, like an almost good barroom piano player in the late 1900s after heís had a few too many beers. Maybe in the big band edition of GPO coming to a dealer near you real soon, [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Gary will include ambient nightclub crowd noise, people laughing, glasses clinking, waiters dropping trays etc.[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

DP might ask you what happened to the plugs and such that I used (reverb and such) but just ignore it. You may also have to manually reload the GPO piano in the instrument track that accompanies the midi track. It might ask you for a soundbite, which of course you donít have. Then again it might load with no difficulties. I\'m not sure what it will do.

What I had was a hand written piano rendition that I wrote when sequencing software existed only in the imagination of a couple of programmers. Yesterday I typed the piece into Composerís Mosaic in O.S.9, which it appears MOTU is letting die a slow painful death. The midi file was then imported into DP. The process took about three and a half hours. There were four steps taken to breathe, what I hope was some realism into this sequence:

<ul type=\"square\">[*]Adjusting note attacks so that the notes in a chord donít fall exactly together. (no human is as good as a computer), and to add some natural arpeggiation at key points. [*]Adjusting note lengths so that they allow, for instance, the pianistís hands the time to get from place to place on the keyboard, when, if the damper pedal is not down, there will be a slight break between the notes. [*]Adjusting Velocities with strong and weak beats as well as to reflect the general ebb and flow of the phrasing and dynamics of the piece. Remember that even when a chord is played, the melody is usually a little stronger than the supporting harmonies. Also, no human can play a chord with every note having the exact same velocity. [*]Playing with DPís superb tempo controls to get a more realistic performance.[/list]

Well, thatís it, Hope someone gets something out of this.

WALTZ FOR BERT DP file

WALTZ FOR BERT mp3 file

[/ QUOTE ]

Karl, All you\'re hard tweaking sure paid off. It sounded like a totally realtime performance to me....it had me fooled. You do all the things that I try and do....you have to make it as uncomputerlike in every way possible.

BTW there seems to be an overload level type distortion on the MP3.

Frank

[ QUOTE ]
    Yesterday I typed the piece into Composerís Mosaic in O.S.9, which it appears MOTU is letting die a slow painful death.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it had died three years ago! I used to like this app, espeiallly the freebie version - it\'s the easiest score program for adding lyrics, IMHO, but MOTU gave up, it seems - 4.12\'s scoring options give youja moderate amount of what\'s in Mosaic, but not enough by half!

Whoops - the score is gone - not found...

Dasher

[ QUOTE ]
    Whoops - the score is gone - not found...

[/ QUOTE ]

Dasher, sorry for the \"No file found\" message. I was cleaning out a bunch of old files, and that one accidentally deleted with the rest. Iíve fixed link and it tested OK. Please try it again.

[ QUOTE ]
    I thought it had died three years ago! I used to like this app, espeiallly the freebie version - it\'s the easiest score program for adding lyrics...

[/ QUOTE ]

MOTU has not made any changes in Mosaic in over 4 years. They havenít even seen fit to make it work in classic mode. I called and pleaded with them for info about it and met a wall of silence. I wrote to them and got no reply. MOTU has traditionally been very secretive about their plans for new products and upgrades. I have literally thousands of files that I have created in this format with, at this time no means of using them except in a machine that boots O.S. 9. A tech support genius told me to save the Mosaic files as midi files, import them into DP and clean them up with QuickScribe, which is the notation part of DP4. As it stands now QuickScribe is, in my opinion, useless for all except the most rudimentary projects. Donít want to slam MOTU any more than this, for the rest of DP is just outstanding. Itís that I just have over 40 years of pieces that Iíve written and transcribed for my students in this format, all with extensive fingerings and performance notes. As far as Iím aware, there is no other notation program for O.S.10,that will convert these files. I live in fear that my little G4 will meat itís end and except for my printed copies of these files Iíll be stuck. If they had only left us with some sort of upgrade path, or if they had just told me, ďSorry, you loseĒ, then, I would know what Iím up against. If only other companies had 1 hundredth of Garyís customer relations...

Got it - thanks.

Dasher

Go Back to forum