• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Another GPO user posts his first effort

Share/Bookmark

Another GPO user posts his first effort

This is the first tune I created using GPO, it was actually done in Reason last year and redone in GPO (which I figured would be easier than starting something from scratch while learning GPO).

Anyway I\'m trying to learn as much as I can so let me know any suggestions that would help my composition or production technique. Thanks.

Brian

p.s. Many thanks to Joseph Burrell for hosting this tune on his webspace. It sat on my harddrive for a month while I was trying set up my own website.

www.lostandlonging.com/Summer%20Skies%20master.mp3

If this link doesn\'t work please use the one Joseph posted in the next message.

Re: Another GPO user posts his first effort

Summer Skies link fixed [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

It\'s a cool and everything, but I would use different articulations in the strings. I can tell you using the Lush strings. A good rule of thumb is not to use the Lush strings unless the passage is really slow and has very few moving notes, and to never use the lush violins or cellos at all....they just don\'t sound all that convincing. The term \"lush\" don\'t go well with the sound that these samples produce. They should be called \"slow\" or something like that. I would use the \"sus+short\" samples for the entire thing.

And plus there not enough reverb. And there\'s certainly not enough reverb in the percussion and brass. Not to mention that the dynamic level of the piece is way to constant.

Don\'t get me wrong, it\'s a real nice piece and everything, but you asked for criticism so I\'m giving it to you. But yeah, I like it tho.

I like the waltz feeling of the song. I\'m not sure if that\'s intentional or anything but that\'s how it took me. I agree about the dynamics, but I\'m just as guilty, that\'s what everyone\'s said about my first attempt at music. Anyway, I don\'t know about the reverb, it didn\'t stand out to me. Great job all around.

Beautiful melody! This is a theme to hang on to.

Steve Barden

Brian, I think that your theme is very nice but I think it suffers from from unoptimised MIDI for the transfer to the new GPO sounds. I have to agree that the choice of instruments don\'t seem ideal.

The piece is good enough to to justify some more tweaking though IMHO.

Frank

Sweeeeet !!

Being an absolute beginner myself, I won\'t comment on the performance, but I really like the tune itself.

Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions, I really appreciate it. I\'ve learned a lot on this forum by listening to other people\'s demos and reading the accompanying remarks so it feels great to get some direct feedback on my own material.

On my next tune I\'ll definitely be paying more attention to my dynamic levels and selection of appropriate sounds.

Thanks again.

Brian

Geezz...I wish I could hear it! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum