• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Customer Loathing

Share/Bookmark

Customer Loathing

Why do Tascam/ Nemysis dislike their customers so much? They put out fancy ads, they put out brochures, they have a release timeframe on their web site but when the time comes they have absolutely nothing to say. No information just silence.

No Demos

No final statement about included instruments

No MP3\'s of how Gigapulse sounds...

So it\'s almost the middle of May and they still have no idea when it will be released? Give me a break, this product is way, way off the grid and i don\'t think we will see it for months.

Why did they put May on their web site? Why don\'t they update it to let customers know they are having problems?

Information will be given on a need to know basis and we DON\"T NEED TO KNOW.

Giga...

Re: Customer Loathing

Of course you are right, I just don\'t get all the \"spy vs. spy\" stuff and the secracy. I will enjoy G3 when it arrives. I am one of those that will try to make it work from the very beginning and just hope they know what they are doing.

a few weeks ago i predicted we would not see G3 until October or November...I couldn\'t be that wrong could I???
    giga...

It´s not only Tascam that do this...NI too...we had to wait for more than one year to put our hands on Stormdrum [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]!!!

My bet is that you will not see GS3 at all. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Seriously, the amount of development involved I would think would not be too cost efficient to the boutique nature of GS and the userbase. A lot of proaudio soft companies are already hurting. Sony apparently is cutting back if not all together elimating there whole proaudio section, well that at least is the word on the street, and there Sony! Tascam already have been having problems and would think something like GS3 is a low priority.

Hopefully GS3 will be released but I am afraid if it even does the other more integrated VSTi samplers have taken to much hold already.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

[ QUOTE ]
    My bet is that you will not see GS3 at all. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Want to put some cash on that? $50,000? Any takers? I could use a vacation.

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Want to put some cash on that? $50,000? Any takers? I could use a vacation.

[/ QUOTE ]
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Count me in with all those folks who are going to wait until Tascam proves that GS 3 works properly. Personally, I\'ve had it with several audio companies who dump their products on the market before all the bugs are fixed.

Along the same lines, I\'d rather have Tascam delay releasing GS 3 if it results in a properly working GS3.

Lee,

Good point. I\'m one of the ones that finally has a working GS2.5, so I\'m going to wait until I hear that most customers can get it to work.

I\'m also starting to wonder if the LINUX sampler might be the answer to some of the problems...

Wes

[ QUOTE ]
    Lee,

Good point. I\'m one of the ones that finally has a working GS2.5, so I\'m going to wait until I hear that most customers can get it to work.

I\'m also starting to wonder if the LINUX sampler might be the answer to some of the problems...

Wes

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for the support
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I hope that LinuxSampler will soon be useful to endusers too.
    As always with open source applications it\'s hard to predict release times.
    At least users cannot criticize us for bugs,delays because LinuxSampler does not cost anything. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] but as we know the open source development model swallows both bugs, performance problems and lack of features.

For example in the last weeks one developer spent lots of time to reorganize the source code base to make it multi engine capable (so that you can run several engines in parallel without needing importing or cross format conversion, one example would be wanting to play GIG files and AKAI files at the same time).
    The portability of the code got improved too, threading and inter process communication were put in abstracted C++ classes this means that a native Windows VSTi would be quite easy to produce [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] , same appllies to Mac OS X version, in that case it\'s even easier because both Linux and OS X are UNIX-like operating systems.

The communication between server (the sampler engine) and client (the GUI) is about to be finalized too and GUI development has begun (written using the Qt lib, so it will work on Win,Mac,Linux).
    the guy that writes this app
    http://qjackctl.sourceforge.net/qjackctl-ss1.html
    is the one working on the LinuxSampler GUI,

For the low RAM preload sizes fetishists:
    audio card set to 5.8msec latency
    Athlon 2000 CPU , HD Maxtor 80GB IDE: if you use the machine only for plaing the samples you can go down to 48KByte RAM preload per mono sample and perhaps even below.

I played a classical music MIDI file which peaked at >120 stereo voices without dropouts. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

With 64KB preload you can run other apps in parallel too.

loading PMI STEINWAY D COMPRESSED.gig (1.7GB) with 48KB preload per mono sample, takes only 10 sec, not so bad I\'d say.

Anyway the GIG engine in LinuxSampler needs still more tweaks (velocity curves, some tuning problems in some samples) and articulation support is not in yet but step by step we are getting closer.

If you want to help us out to accelerate development and join the fun
    subscribe to our mailing list and start giving feedback (eg by helping us to tune the GIG engine to ensure that samples sound correctly)
    join our mailinglist here: http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/linuxsampler-devel

If you want to start using an easy to use linux distribution for audio, this is the right starting point.
    http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/

We will keep you posted guys [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

cheers,
    Benno
    http://www.linuxsampler.org

Thats mighty impressive there Benno! Alternatives are always a good thing after all [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum