• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Midi newbie tips?

Share/Bookmark

Midi newbie tips?

I have recently gotten into this midi/samples thing and have by trial and error finished a few piano pieces. What I find hard is midi keyboards, even weighted, just do not have the same feel as a real piano. I often find that playing like your playing a piano just doesnt work. Notes are to loud, or to soft when on a real one it would sound just right. Its adjusting to this thats hard. The sound itself in GPO I find acceptable and is rather good considering this is comming out of a computer. I have made a few attempts at piano pieces and tried editing the midi data ect ect. I dont know if I fully grasp this. I went thru the Sonar/GPO tutorial on the main site and hoped that would help.

Anyway ill post the last one I did. This was an old college piece I did when we were going thru tonal harmony and had the assignment to make a piece of music in a pretty simple form. Other then that we were free on style ect ect. I chose to go with a sorta Romantic Era sound(im not much into multimedia or pop so please forgive me). Any tips would be appreciated on how to better control the sound. I simply used the Piano patch and routed the bundled fx thru the aux send like in the tutorial but with minimal reverb(didnt want to overdo it. No eqing or anything was done. Feedback is welcome. Forgive the name, for lack of nameing things I just stuck with this [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

http://home.cfl.rr.com/delly/Praylewd.mp3

Re: Midi newbie tips?

Simon says go on to the next round!
    You\'ve have got to be kidding! That was great! Technical smechnical garbage aside. I loved it! \'
    Did you play this in live or note-by-note? I\'m sorry; I got excited over the whole performance of the piece. I am sure others will agree when I say, quite exceptional! Oh my god, you people and your talents are killing me!
    I\'ve got to hear it again.... excuse me.

I have recently gotten into this midi/samples thing and have by trial and error finished a few piano pieces.

What? Did I hear you right! Fantastic!

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Well to be honest, though I have played since I can remember, I get very frustrated with midi keyboards/piano sounds. Most likely because it just doesnt feel the same or sound the same when played like a real one. Like I said before I find myself having a hard time adjusting to the sensitivity, sometimes to loud or to quiet. Im gathering this is from the different layers of samples. So I will play a part or so and if it sounds good enough I admit I used the copy and paste feature when that part repeats, but used also the random CAL thing on the pastes to make them slightly different in time/space. I use the help file more then I actually make music lol But its not all completely done in one shot no. I find the takes I like and copy them then move the data stuff around so its not exact because \"I hate midi keyboards\" lol

Thanks for the positive comments. Im still not happy though with certain issues of balance between hand parts. The piano sound is surprisingly nice for computers and im angry at myself for ignoring sampled instruments for so long! I remember playing thru my old soundcards GM pianos a bit ago and promptly shutting it off! But from programs like this I see how far it has come.

I agree with Styxx – this sounds great. I even like the title, though it might have been funnier with “prey” instead of “pray”, but maybe that’s just me.

I am not much of an instrumentalist, but I do have a few general tips – spend a lot of time playing with different instruments and finding the one that feels best to you.

I’m currently using 3 keyboards – I have a little Evolution MK-225C which is fine for entering notes but awful to play: it is very organ-ey feeling and you’d never play a piano part with it. My Kawai K-5000 has a semi-weighted keyboard and doesn’t feel bad. It’s my primary tool for entering music into my computer. I’m totally happy with my K-5000 until I play with my digital piano, made by Viscount: there is no difference, the digital piano feels great. I notice I can get much better dynamics with it and my note placement is much better. Unfortunately, it is downstairs while my computer is upstairs.

Anyway, trying to say is that you need to find a keyboard that feels right to you. It will never feel exactly like a piano, but some come close, particularly those on digital pianos.

Playing with the midi data might help in some cases, but I don’t think it can replace the feel you get from a “live” performance.

Have you saved as a wave, burned to CD and played this on a good sound system? If not you will be even more pleasantly surprised with the sound from a computer.

Very nice work.Keep em coming : I ran your tune through my Lexicon stereo reverb and personally speaking it gave it alot more depth and vibrancy.Just my opinion [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I totally understand what you are saying and most of us do as well. I have never had an electronic drum surface give me the feel of the real thing! That\'s why most if not all my compositions I record my kit and mix it in with the samples.
    Regardless, for someone who has never really used the digital world, this is great!

Music man is it possible for you to post it with the lexicon thing you used? Im curious to hear the sound difference.

Thanks all for the positive feedback

Where is yours? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

A really excellent piece, reminds me of Mendelsohnn. I especially like the block chord sequence in the middle.

My only suggestion for improvement would be to soften up the grace notes a bit with a midi editor.

Nicole,

This is really nice! It does sound a bit too stacatto for my taste though. Perhaps a little more variation in note length so that it sounds more natural. A little bit of pedalling would help too...even if it\'s with the mouse.

I enjoyed that.

Frank

PS Nicole?....male or female? Excuse my ignorance...some do...

Go Back to forum